Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What do people say when they first see your collection in-person??

I'm sure we all have a lot of confused people when they see our collections in-person, whether it's family members, friends, etc being that they either don't know what all the stuff is or they just don't get the point of it. But what do most people say when they first see it??

Here's what a few people have said when they first walk into my room:

"So all this stuff was used by baseball players?"

"awwww you like the Braves" (yea you guessed it, a girl said that)

"oh---my---god" (my girlfriend said that the first time she walked into my room)

"So I take it that you like baseball?" (my favorite)

"Where you get all this?"

"You and your used baseball sh*t" (one of my friends says that on a common basis )

"How much all this stuff cost?"

Re: What do people say when they first see your collection in-person??

Kyle -

When you get older, your friends become less amazed at the stuff you have and more (insert word)...jealous, conscious of your spending habits, indifferent, and occasionally impressed.

My buddies that don't collect anything (which is the majority) like the idea of being able to hold a Lankford or Gilkey bat - but they would rather spend the money on booze (you'll get there soon enough)...or other adult "toys" like jet-skis or expensive rides.

I am used to hearing - "what have you picked up recently?" or "Does your wife know about this one..?"

And then there is the occasional - "What void are you filling in life?"

I have fun with it. I put my stuff in my office so that I can look at it and be reminded of the days when I could still throw a curveball - and the only people who worried about my finances were my parents.

Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jays1fan

Most of my friends are into collecting autos ( In person and TTM ) , I am too but only Blue Jays. So I have gotten different responses. One of my friends even started to collect game used items after seeing all that I had.

My latest response from a friend was "what happen to the Reed Johnson Bat... That was the coolest thing ever ! " - just kidding about that one guys ... lol .. but had to throw that in there

Usually people just stare in amazement. It is cool when you get a fellow collector down here. I like to watch their reaction and how long they study certain items. It is a weird relaxing feeling. I get alot of non-collectors who are amazed at the time, effort and money spent on these items, and then there is the segment that thinks I am strange and a bit of a stalker. I get that one alot, but not as often people acknowledging my interest in the history of the game and aspects of a particular player or team...

RK

It is always fun. Most people have a great reaction asking about specific items, etc. My favorite reaction was when I had a bed delivered for the spare bedroom in the basement. When the delivery guy saw my collection in the other room he was absolutely convinced (from my collection) that I was Matt Stover....in fairness to him, he is the only professional athelete I even remotely resemble.

My college set up has me living with 7 other college guys, but each day I get a bat in they all gather around in our living room and watch me rip it open. I get a lot of the "when are we taking that to the batting cage" and "find any deals on EBAY". Back home is another story, love having grown men walk in there and just stare at different items. The women's reactions are never too great, always something like "I never realized you collected this much stuff when you told me". Still looking for that right girl that doesn't refer to it as "more $h!t".
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

I get.......why?

Uncle !

"Where did you get this?"

and the enevitable: "How do you know he wore it"

I usually hear about the same thing;
    Wow, guess you like baseball
    OR
    Those Bats are ugly!
    & finally...
    Why would anyone want a cracked Bat?
    Sean