Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quantity or Quality: What do you prefer?

Hi, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this and I have not seen a topic like this posted recently.

When buying your game used items do you prefer to spend money, let's say $1,000, on 6 or 7 jerseys (or bats, etc.), or get 1 or 2 jerseys (or bats, etc.) for the $1,000? I have bought a few jerseys that have cost a decent amount, but I personally have been doing more of the quantity approach and may spread out the $1,000 that I am spending. I am curious on what other people do. I know that some of you collect for a particular team or player, while others may spread it out more.

Thank you to anyone that responds.

Chris

Re: Quantity or Quality: What do you prefer?

Quality over QTY any day.

D
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I want to do quality, but every time I get money from selling stuff, a good deal pops up on cheaper stuff, so I buy that.

Banned

Well this is another topic as far as the way your asking the question that no one can answer honestly.

It would boil down too what's in your pocket and what's on the market at that moment.

If I have a thousand dollars and 10 bats are available that I want for a $100 each I would buy all 10.
    Same thing if there is a Jersey available for a $1000 I would buy the Jersey.

I would think it boils down to availability of the item, money you have available, and the biggest one of all, what your looking for at that moment.

I realize this is mostly a baseball board, but that thread title begs a Wilt Chamberlain reference.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    I realize this is mostly a baseball board, but that thread title begs a Wilt Chamberlain reference.
    greg, you've been on fire lately. another excellent zinger!

if only i could upload a midi file of a rimshot.

rudy.

No, that is not what I meant (in reference to Wilt Chamberlain).

I am also thinking in terms of what Web sites you may use in terms of buying your items. There are 3 different game used Web sites that I look at frequently and each one is different in terms of baseball jerseys that they mainly offer. One tends to have high-priced jerseys (basically no low priced jerseys), another has mainly moderately priced jerseys with some high end and some low end, and the other has more lower priced jerseys (does have a few higher priced jerseys). I would identify these by name but I am not sure if I am allowed.

I'd have to agree with 'suave' - it's very situational. I think it's a natural human tendency, particularly as it relates to the collecting instinct, to go for "lots of things", and so to lean toward quantity - but occasionally that once in a lifetime opportunity to own one very cool, very expensive thing arises, and you know that if you go for it, your budget is shot and you may have to forgo any other buying for awhile, but you just have to own that one thing.

I just had a thought, though. Permit me to rephrase the question...and I think that it remains the same question, if you think about it.

Think of the one item that would have to be the Holy Grail of your chosen collecting niche. I collect, almost exclusively, Arizona Diamondbacks stuff, so for me it would have to be the bat Luis Gonzalez used to bloop that single over Jeter's head in Game 7 in 2001 to win the World Series. (I believe it's in Cooperstown, so it's not going to be on the market any time soon, but assume that it is.) I can't think of any more important or iconic piece of DBacks memorabilia in existence. Picture what that one item would be for you.

If you don't have a large collection yet, assume that you do. Now...would you trade every game-used piece, every bat, jersey, stick, helmet, whatever...every autograph, photo, card, pennant, etc...for that single, very important item?

I would not trade everything I own for that one item. I am a Steelers fan and would not trade my collection (which includes game used, autographs, cards, etc.) for the Lombardi Trophy that the Steelers got when they won Super Bowl XL (or any of the other Super Bowls for that matter). Although, it would be tempting.

Thank you for some of the feedback that you guys are posting.

To me it would depend on the Situation.But I would take more than less in most instances I guess.Unless its an item from a player that you collect and you need that item in your collection.