Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doug Flutie's Drop Kick Football Available On Ebay

This one has a story behind it.

We know the historical signifance- Flutie converts first drop kick since 1941. Fan catches ball. Patriots don't get it. Hall of Fame doesn't get it. it's now available on ebay- at a starting bid of $25,000
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DOUG-FLUTIES-HIS...QQcmdZViewItem

After inquiries from the Patriots, the seller had an incredible list of demands. The Patriots said "No Thanks." Can't blame 'em. See Below

Patriots won't pay for Flutie's drop-kick ball
    Wire services
    Jan. 30, 2006 12:00 AM
    Stacey James, New England Patriots executive director of media relations, couldn't understand why his phone calls were not returned, until a fax showed up on his desk last Monday morning that made it all clear.

Ever since Doug Flutie's drop kick split the uprights on New Year's Day, the Patriots had searched for the football.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame called James seeking the ball. But because the Patriots had lined up before Flutie's kick as if it were a play from scrimmage, the net was not raised behind the goalposts, so the ball went into the stands and the waiting arms of a fan who shall remain anonymous at the Patriots' insistence.

James told the Hall he wasn't sure he could find the football. The team reviewed film to try to locate the lucky fan but came up empty - until James got a phone message from someone purporting to have the ball or at least know where it was. James left several messages in return but the caller didn't reply until the morning of Jan. 23, when a fax arrived from a lawyer.

According to the fax, the law office represents Mr. X, "who is in possession of the football recently drop-kicked by Doug Flutie. . . . My client understands that the New England Patriots may have an interest in purchasing that historic football."

Then came the fan's terms and conditions, as written by the lawyer:

"1. Payment of $100,000 on delivery of the football.

"2. A guarantee of eight season tickets for 25 years in the end zone (preferably sections 142 or 143). The season tickets will be paid for annually by my client at the then-going price for season tickets. The Patriots would not be expected to pay for the tickets.

"3. Delivery by the Patriots to my client, sometime in September 2006, of a Tom Brady Patriots football jersey signed by all the team members as of the beginning of the next football season."

The lawyer's letter goes on to explain that his client "has had a number of offers for the football already, but he is a real Patriot fan and would prefer to see that historic football wind up in the Patriots' possession."

The Kraft family, which owns the team, chose to ignore the whole matter. As someone in the organization said Friday: "I hope he enjoys the football."

Re: Doug Flutie's Drop Kick Football Available On Ebay

I have no problem with a fan making some cash on a lucky break like this, but the fan's demands were unrealistic.

Banned

I think this guy should get some help, as his demands are about as unrealistic as me asking for Drew Bledsoe to return to town.

Like they care about his stupid football.

This sounds a lot like the demands of the fellow who caught the glove that Livan Hernandez threw into the stands. If I remember right, it was something like $18,000 cash, playoff tickets for this past year, and season tickets for the entire upcoming year. Hernandez's response was basically "Enjoy the glove!"

I might be wrong about this, but since the drop kick was a surprise play and not a planned kickoff or traditional field goal attempt, wouldn't he have kicked a regular game ball and not a "K" marked kicking ball as shown in the listing? As I recall, the Pats set up as if they were running a regular, non-kicking play, so the refs wouldn't have known to call for a "K" ball.

I think the referees were tipped off that it was a possibility before the game.

Chris Berman had told Belichick that Flutie could do it. He had seen him do it in practice. And if I remember correctly one of the coaches mentioned it to the officials before the game that it could come up. That said, wouldn't it be plausible that a K ball would be put in on conversion?
    Just some pointless speculation by me.
    Thanks for caring
    Eric

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan
    This sounds a lot like the demands of the fellow who caught the glove that Livan Hernandez threw into the stands. If I remember right, it was something like $18,000 cash, playoff tickets for this past year, and season tickets for the entire upcoming year. Hernandez's response was basically "Enjoy the glove!"
    i was at that game and remember that dude...hope he enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame.

It seems the ebay photo is of one side of the ball

and the getty image shows the other side of the ball

you really think hes asking too much???? i think all of these lucky fans have been giving up their possesions to easy (imho). lets see he wants 100k. you think thats a lot of money? lets check how much these guys are getting paid. im sure there are some on the roster getting paid and they havent played a down (umm thats ok yeah?) 100k is chump change to these owners, or have you been under a rock to see these escalating salaries. he wants 8 seasons tickets at cost price, and thats outrageous? pay the the lucky fan. the publicity would be worth the money. and psst i bet they can haggle a bit dont you? sheesh. you guys are really cheap with someone else's money.

Remember, Bob Kraft is first a very smart business man that has turned a franchise around. I'm sure it ticked him off that a lucky fan got a lawyer and made demands for a football that should be in the hands of the Hall of Fame or the Patriots Organization. But asking $100,000 or even $25,000 for a football? Chump Change? They should take the fax to the HOF and display it for a good laugh.