Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Actual Q&A with Lou Lampson

Anyone up for a trip to Rosemont, Ill. on Friday, April 18th? Looks like we can fire a questions over to Lou via email too.

http://gavelchat.sportscollectorsdigest.com/

http://www.pcce2008.com/paneldiscussions.htm

Also, I'll pay $10 to anyone who gets me an official league ball signed on the sweetspot by Lou in No. 2 pencil.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Banned

Re: Actual Q&A with Lou Lampson

Wondering why Dave Bushing would agree to sit anywhere NEAR Sweet Lou, or be seen near him, at an event. Almost lends legitimacy to the guy.

I have finally figured out whom he reminds me of .

Remember Slammin' Sammy Malone on Cheers ?????

What do you think ?????

I do apologize to any Cheers fans out there if you're offended......
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Is anyone going to this event? Seems pretty good.
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Looking at that photo I am reminded of Terri Schiavo......Not to be mean but he does look like a comatose vegetable. That would however explain his authentication of obvious fakes.....

And another thing, having access to "over 8,000 jersey related photos" doesn't impress anyone. We all have it. It's called Getty Images. This isn't 1994 anymore. The internet offers anyone with a computer free access to millions of photos. His credentials are now more obsolete than he is. Wow.

I hope someone goes and videotapes his responses to any one of the thousands of obvious mistakes this board alone has caught him on. 3 Elway's from the same game, authenticated by the same person at different times and all 3 wrongly when the real one is in the HOF for example. How do you have all these photos and not a clue what you've signed off on already?

Finally, I can't believe he really exists. 25-1 odds he gets wind of what he will hear at the show and never shows up.....

Quote Originally Posted by skipcareyisfat View Post
    Anyone up for a trip to Rosemont, Ill. on Friday, April 18th? Looks like we can fire a questions over to Lou via email too.

Also, I'll pay $10 to anyone who gets me an official league ball signed on the sweetspot by Lou in No. 2 pencil.

I might be interested. Skip, where ya heading from?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skipcareyisfat View Post

According to the posted link, you can submit questions directly to Chirs, who it appears will direct them to Lampson. If indeed this is the case, then those on this site should forward specific instances/examples of the countless blunders Lampson has made, site the item with clear information, and allow Lampson to address our concerns. I have my doubts that any tough questions or questions about his blunders will be asked, however, I submitted the following:

This is for Lou Lampson:
    When uniform collectors discuss authenticating, your name surfaces on a regular basis and your continued blunders are often the topic of discussion. One of the most outlandish LOA's you've written is for a "Cal Ripken green Orioles St. Patricks jersey". According to your LOA, the jersey shows use, is correctly tagged and noted as authentic. Likewise, you note in the LOA that you saw several of these green St. Pat's jerseys in the O's storage facility. After extensive research, the following has been noted:
    1. The O's themselves have stated they never wore this style of green jersey on St. Patty's day
    2. There is not a single shred of evidence to indicate Ripekn or any O's player ever wore these (no photos, no newspaper story, etc.).
    3. How could you have seen a "rack" of these when the O's themselves have indicated they never ordered or wore them?
    4. the O's further noted they have never worn green jerseys in any variety for St. Patty's day?

In conclusion, how can you provide a LOA on a jersey that not a single employee of the O's or a collector can locate a shred of evidence that it was ever worn? What evidence did you use to conclude not only that the O's wore these, but this is a team issued, game worn Cal Ripken jersey?
    Based on the complete lack of any evidence, are you prepared to provide a refund of over $4,000 to owner Dan Derlith in Rochester N.Y. for his original purchase price?
    Howard Wolf

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard,
    Not sure where you got the idea that I would take questions for the panel members... I will be going to the event, but if you want to ask any of the speakers a question, there is a link on their website that anyone can submit their question.

Here is the link from their site: http://www.pcce2008.com/questions.htm

Should be a fun event and I am pumped to be able to attend.
    Thank you,
    Chris Nerat

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    According to the posted link, you can submit questions directly to Chirs, who it appears will direct them to Lampson. If indeed this is the case, then those on this site should forward specific instances/examples of the countless blunders Lampson has made, site the item with clear information, and allow Lampson to address our concerns. I have my doubts that any tough questions or questions about his blunders will be asked, however, I submitted the following:

This is for Lou Lampson:
    When uniform collectors discuss authenticating, your name surfaces on a regular basis and your continued blunders are often the topic of discussion. One of the most outlandish LOA's you've written is for a "Cal Ripken green Orioles St. Patricks jersey". According to your LOA, the jersey shows use, is correctly tagged and noted as authentic. Likewise, you note in the LOA that you saw several of these green St. Pat's jerseys in the O's storage facility. After extensive research, the following has been noted:
    1. The O's themselves have stated they never wore this style of green jersey on St. Patty's day
    2. There is not a single shred of evidence to indicate Ripekn or any O's player ever wore these (no photos, no newspaper story, etc.).
    3. How could you have seen a "rack" of these when the O's themselves have indicated they never ordered or wore them?
    4. the O's further noted they have never worn green jerseys in any variety for St. Patty's day?
    In conclusion, how can you provide a LOA on a jersey that not a single employee of the O's or a collector can locate a shred of evidence that it was ever worn? What evidence did you use to conclude not only that the O's wore these, but this is a team issued, game worn Cal Ripken jersey?
    Based on the complete lack of any evidence, are you prepared to provide a refund of over $4,000 to owner Dan Derlith in Rochester N.Y. for his original purchase price?
    Howard Wolf

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net
    Of course second line of questioning that comes to mind has already been mentioned re: the Elway throwback jersey, worn in ONE game only, and that is in fact in the HOF in Canton - which has nevertheless been authenticated I believe three separate times by Lou.

I have a HARD time believing the mods will actually ask these questions IF he shows. But, if they won't open it to the floor, they SHOULD, or it's all a whitewash.

I sent this one in.

Mr. Lampson,

Below are photos of a Sixers jersey that Broadway Rick's Strike Zone sold. Also a copy of your letter.

Let's break it down, shall we?

1st & 2nd paragraphs - To be exact, 1986-87 was the first year the Sixers wore Sand-Knit and Erving's last year. This would have to be a 1986-87 Sixers road jersey. I guess mid 80s is close enough.

3rd & 4th paragraphs - Close enough, but my measurements say the Sand-Knit lettering was very close to 4 inches tall. Suffice it to say, that the Sand-Knit SIXERS lettering is larger than the old Wilson SIXERS lettering. Agreed.

5th & 6th & 7th paragraphs - This Sand-Knit jersey, has the numbers and letter style that was used on the Wilson jerseys of the past. The number 6 on the Sand-Knit Erving jersey changed slightly and they no longer used vertical arch lettering, but rather standard block, sewn on with a slight arch. This jersey has the wrong numbers and the wrong lettering for the NOB, based on my photo archive research.

8th paragraph - This paragraph states that a size 44 would be "consistent with Erving's late career physique and within proper parameters for the again 'Doctah' in his final campaign." I'm unaware of any late career physique changes, with regard to Erving. In fact, the Basketball HOF has a final season Erving Sand-Knit 86-87 road red Sixers jersey - size 40. I've also been told that the Sand-Knit tag (gold crown) on this jersey was not on 86-87 jerseys, but added after the Doctor had already hung 'em up.

Could you share with me the research you did and what evidence you found to support the claim that a jersey that was possibly issued after Erving retired, is two sizes larger than the one in the HOF from the same season and has the wrong numbers and letters, was actually worn by Dr. J.?

Thanks,
    Greg