Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

clemente helmet???

i have never seen a helmet like this! anyone have any ideas?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ROBERTO-CLEMENTE...QQcmdZViewItem

Re: clemente helmet???

This seller once listed a Larry Berra R43 35" bat on eBay. A collector I know made him an offer and bought it "off line." When it finally showed up, it was a Yogi Berra 33" store bat. Repeated efforts to reach the guy and remedy the situation were useless... he evaporated, yet continues to list.

Jeff -

It is funny you mention that story...in one of his feedback's, someone leaves him a negative and he relpies by telliing them to read a Bible passage...

never said a word just left neg. sorry way to ebay, 2 corinthians 4:2 read it!

Here is the passage...Gotta love the irony. To be politically correct, I have removed any controversial words (wish I didn't have too..)

"Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of ___. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of ____."

Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i emailed the seller but have not heard from yet. in my opinion, it is not legit. i have seen plenty of older helmets but never one like this.

I would not buy a THING from this guy! I was one of the people he emailed and sent pictures to about the Berra bat!! He was sending pics of two or more different bats to different people. It was pathetic. I actually thought he would have gotten kicked off by now, guess not. Maybe I'll have some fun with him. Im a little bored today.

this is what the seller emailed me. his response:

"thanks for your opinion, but since neither you nor i was there its impossible to say never. history is full of things of which there is no provenance, just conjecture on the part of humans. i have a bat that was given to me as a child in a 1961 home run derby by roger maris himself. i watched him use it during the homerun derby personally and got it as soon as the derby was over. it is a model 016 but with a different players name on it. no way i can prove he used it except i was there. so when i show it and an "expert" tells me know way i thank them for their insight but walk away reinforced in my thinking that unless you were there then there is no way ssomeone can say absoulutely, you believe that washington crossed the deleware, right, yet no photos or physical evidence exists to prove it .positively never and be right. by the way, they also have another one with the velvet texture covering like the one i have pictured which i will be looking at soon but the info they sent says name and number on it also. thanks"

pretty funny and idiotic. at the beginning of the listing, you could see who was bidding. now, it's private! he is trying to swindle someone is what i see.

Quote Originally Posted by momen55 View Post
    you believe that washington crossed the deleware, right, yet no photos or physical evidence exists to prove it...

Ummmm.... What?

I think this event was recorded in the books by several different people who happened to be there.... Sounds like pretty good provenance to me...

I write him about an hr ago saying this helmet is just like the Yogi Berra bat he sold. You buy, get it home, and its something totally different. His response:

"the consigner boxed and shipped the bat, if there is a problem you need to let me know."

He obviously doesnt know who he sold what to. What a complete moron. But, I will say this. If you do bid on that helmet, you might be a moron too. It looks horrible

Is that an Equestrian Riding Helmet? That would explain the felt, and small size... Gotta be one of the most rediculous things on ebay. What years did the Pirates spray-paint stencil their logo?

Quote Originally Posted by GoTigers View Post
    Is that an Equestrian Riding Helmet? That would explain the felt, and small size... Gotta be one of the most rediculous things on ebay. What years did the Pirates spray-paint stencil their logo?

'Nuff said!