Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Banned

Re: Namath's Game Worn Super Bowl Helmet? Nope.

Floating the idea that "Green Light" Lou would have kaboshed a $50,000+ sale by refusing authentication on his own on the Namath helmet - if aeneas hadn't documented the basic issues with this helmet so publicly beforehand - is preposterous on its face for anyone that's watched this hobby for more than a week.

Everything since is simply spin by those that benefit financially from their relationships with the auction house. Personally, I think aeneas put Heritage in a position they had no choice but to pull the item. It speaks volumes about them that they'd promote such a supposed major piece without having it first "authenticated" by Sweet Lou. Frankly, I think auction houses have gotten too cocky about their ability to move millions in bad merchandise and now operate with a "list first, support or pull if challenged later" policy.

Hello Robert,

I have been watching the threads related to the Namath helmet and I will post some more detailed thoughts a bit later today. In the meantime, I wanted to quickly post two thoughts right away:

1) I, like so many others on the forum, am consistently impressed by your knowledge of game used helmets as well as the value you add to the collecting community through your posts;

2) I sent that comment, as well as a few other thoughts, to you in an email last Friday. Could you please let me know if you received that email. I haven't heard back from you and I'm wondering if I have your most up-to-date email address.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Cool Re: Namath's Game Worn Super Bowl Helmet? Nope.

The main thing I saw from the pictures provided were the 2 little holes beneath the ear hole on each side in the pics from the Super Bowl

There was only one hole on each side in the pics of the helmet from the auctions

I doubt that helps anyone in anyway but I thought I would throw my cents into this
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    The main thing I saw from the pictures provided were the 2 little holes beneath the ear hole on each side in the pics from the Super Bowl

There was only one hole on each side in the pics of the helmet from the auctions

I doubt that helps anyone in anyway but I thought I would throw my cents into this
    Yes, chakes, that was the initial issue with the helmet. You spotted this by just viewing the pictures. Wouldn't you think a football historian would have noticed this also, without a trip to Dallas?
    For the record: I am NOT an expert on anything, nor have I ever claimed to be. Folks who claim to be "experts" are flirting with disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Yes, chakes, that was the initial issue with the helmet. You spotted this by just viewing the pictures. Wouldn't you think a football historian would have noticed this also, without a trip to Dallas?
    For the record: I am NOT an expert on anything, nor have I ever claimed to be. Folks who claim to be "experts" are flirting with disaster.

Why doesn't someone simply ask Chris Ivy if Lou looked at any pictures or did any premilinary work before they put it up in the previews instead of assuming that's what happened or must have happened...Someone should get the proper story from Chris on this and post it..

Dave

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    Why doesn't someone simply ask Chris Ivy if Lou looked at any pictures or did any premilinary work before they put it up in the previews instead of assuming that's what happened or must have happened...Someone should get the proper story from Chris on this and post it..

Dave
    Always the auction houses' #1 advocate here, right Dave? At least you stick up for more than just your fav, AMI, I see.

The real question is why SCD chose to spin this story instead of focusing on the huge error by Heritage in so visibly promoting a bad piece - either prematurely before they had it authenticated, or after some preliminary flawed approval by Lou.

But then we know why don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    Always the auction houses' #1 advocate here, right Dave? At least you stick up for more than just your fav, AMI, I see.

The real question is why SCD chose to spin this story instead of focusing on the huge error by Heritage in so visibly promoting a bad piece - either prematurely before they had it authenticated, or after some preliminary flawed approval by Lou.

But then we know why don't we?

Mike,

Your entire frame of reference for this hobby seems to be the forum, go broaden your horizons a bit.. All I said was somone should get the story of what happened from Chris Ivy...I'm not defending anyone, and personally see it as a big screw up on their part.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    Mike,

Your entire frame of reference for this hobby seems to be the forum.
    Not even close, amigo, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post

rudy.
    another observation

the 6 faded behind the 12 looks to be the same style as the 6 on this roger finnie helmet from american memorabilia which sold in 04. that might support the idea that the "namath helmet" is another jets helmet from that era.
    Name:  finnie.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  35.1 KB
    http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...uction_ID=5182
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...