you know what guys? i've decided that trying to take the high road is probably a waste of time and, even worse, counterproductive. when i posted my findings on the namath helmet i did everything in my power not to beat heritage over the head with it - and i defended their position again and again throughout the thread. so much so that i even drew the consternation of many of my fellow forum members.

but after reading nerat's recent blog, i have to say that i don't want to be associated with that camp in any shape or form - nerat parroted my defense of heritage but could not leave well enough alone. instead he felt compelled to ratchet it up a few notches by accusing some members of being bad for the hobby because they have the audacity to speak frankly, openly and passionately about their grievances.

well here's a newsflash - forum members didn't arrive at this point because they have noting better to do than b&^*tch about the weather. and if you need any proof of this, then just take a gander at this sampling of nonsense collectors have had to sift through - and eat.

problem: unitas wore a rawlings hnd9? right.

problem: the rams didn't switch to blue facemasks until the 1981 season - reynolds never wore a blue facemask when with the rams given his last season in horns was 1980.

problem: campbell only wore a riddell (pictured) his rookie year and his final two seasons with the oilers - he wore a rawlings during the rest of the time he was with the team. when he switched back to a riddell after four years of wearing a rawlings, he covered the riddell markings with rawlings markings given that he was still under contract with rawlings. further, campbell also switched facemasks when he went back to a riddell - the facemask shown in the auction ad is the style he wore when he sported a rawlings, not what he used when he switched back to a riddell. for a look at campbell's real game-used riddell helmet, check out the "show me your nfl stuff" thread - the forum's own rkgibson is the owner of this rare gem.

problem: did ej ever opt for high snap-on chinstrap after his rookie year? he didn't in 2000 - he went with the "screw-on" option. are the rear decal placements accurate?

problem: did the great ozzie newsome ever wear a "usfl" facemask? i don't think so.

problem: woodley was a riddell man, not a rawlings rts man.

problem: not only is this circa 1960-1970 vinatge oilers lid in absolute mint condition, but it also happens to be a modern day youth helmet made by nokona (nocona). it's their nh-100 youth lid which can be had for about $60 retail, $30 on ebay. it sold for over $600 at auction.

problem: this lid has changed hands quite a few times over the years despite the several problems with it, most recently it sold for $7,500 large. the item description incorrectly states that the lid sports the proper '70s version of the arrowhead decal with clear trim. this is wrong - the decals appearing on this lid didn't appear until the late '70s, early '80s. dawson retired after the '75 season.

problem: the grandaddy of them all - a "game worn" helmet with the same sort of storied provenance that accompanied the namath helmet. but unitas never wore a macgregor - he was a riddell man. a $50,000+++ gaff...