Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How many of you have met the athlete you collect?

I was just wondering how many of you have have actually got to meet the athlete that you collect. Obviously, I collect Canseco, but have never actually met him face to face. I had a meeting set up once in Denton, Tx, but it was cancelled due to a bomb threat. Lets hear from you that have, and maybe see some pics if you have them.

Todd

Re: How many of you have met the athlete you collect?

Well I may not have a MAIN interest in collecting (besides Braves) but there are a few player's that I have pieces from (that I want more from so technically I "collect" them):

Andruw Jones - Haven't met him yet. I arrived at the 2007 Braves fanfest 2 hours early in the freezing cold to meet him, where he was scheduled to appear. Then all of the sudden news came out that he decided to go to the Super Bowl instead and he didn't show up

Edgar Renteria - Met him twice. First time was at the 2006 Braves Fanfest, and the second time was before a game at the dugout

Chipper Jones - Met him twice. First time was at the 2004 Braves Fanfest. Got him to sign a game used bat and OML baseball. Second time was at the 2006 Braves Fanfest. Got him to sign my team-signed banner which needed his signature.

I first met Ed Hearn at a card show in the early 90's in NY. Just a regular meeting where he signed a bat and ball. Then in 1998 I arranged for him to come by to meet me at my job at the time (Bear Stearns) to sign some items for me. I had emailed him months prior to the meeting to see if I can mail him some bats to sign and he told me he was going to be in the NYC area for some business and offered to swing by my work and would sign anything for me and anyone else at the job.

We've kept in touch ever since and he been over the house to view his stuff several times over the years.

-David
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Met Jack Morris 5 times.

Met Bert Blyleven 3 times.

Met Dick Stigman once and have corresponded by mail.

Met Dick Such once and have corresponded by mail.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Banned

Honestly, my appreciation for the people I collect has to do with their on field athletic skills, accomplishments, abilities - little to do really with them as individuals. I really have little interest in meeting most of them, in fact, there's a bit of a fear they'll be jerks, it'll negatively color my fond memories of their athletic prowess ala the O.J. Simpson events. As much of a fan as I was of his, watching his entire career from USC through the pros, I could not collect his stuff and feel positive about it after the murders. Tried, felt guilty, and dumped the stuff.

Having said that, the next major show in SoCal, I'll likely attend as I've gotten bored simply buying things and there are a few I'd actually like to meet and maybe get a pic with, like Joe Montana...

Exception to the rule.

Banned

Should mention when I was in high school I worked in a carwash in Orange County when the Rams were there during the 70's. Some great Rams used to come through all the time, Fred Dryer & Jack Youngblood, among them. Not really starstruck by athletes as a result of those early experiences.

I collect stuff of guys from my hometown and there are a couple of them in my age group that I am friends with:

Erik Schullstrom (Twins)
    Isaiah Rider (T-Wolves, Blazers, Lakers)
    Junior Tautalatasi (Eagles, Cowboys)

I have known them for years and we run into each other every now and then. There are a number of others who I am hoping to meet in the future.

I collect all Cincinnati Reds items but only have met a few here and there for a quick autograph. Two guys that would cause me to stray off the Reds search would be Mike Sweeney and Deivi Cruz. Both were great guys to talk to when they made stops in my town for single A baseball.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Banned

I've met and shook hands with Bill Russell (celtics), Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Magic Johnson, and Mchale and Ainge. But, the one I haven't met is Larry Bird. Someday maybe.
    Greg
    biggamebird@yahoo.com

Greg, funny anecdote about the only time I had an interaction with Bill Russell as a kid. As you know he's famous for not signing autographs, well unless there's lots of money involved. He was at a Warriors game and I asked him for his autograph. He said he didn't sign autos and gave me this story of how it made him feel like he was better then other people and so on. So I told him I'd trade him my autograph for his. He got a good chuckle out of this offer but still politely refused to sign.

Dewey