Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone know how to remove tape marks from a game used bat?

Anyone know how to remove tape marks from a game used bat? Bat is cracked, was taped, and over time, tape fell off, but the tape mark is there. How can you remove the clue from the tape on the bat, without hurting the bat?

Thanks

Re: Anyone know how to remove tape marks from a game used bat?

This was posted by Jag Fan Dan in a recent thread:

I recently bought two bats that were cracked and had been "repaired" by somebody with ugly white tape wrapped around the upper handle/lower barrel. I knew when I bought the bats that the tape was coming off so I could do a better looking repair. The gunk that the tape left behind seemed like a pretty formidable opponent, but I used my wife's hairspray (White Rain, extra hold for those keeping score at home) and a rough dish sponge and it all came off very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    This was posted by Jag Fan Dan in a recent thread:

I recently bought two bats that were cracked and had been "repaired" by somebody with ugly white tape wrapped around the upper handle/lower barrel. I knew when I bought the bats that the tape was coming off so I could do a better looking repair. The gunk that the tape left behind seemed like a pretty formidable opponent, but I used my wife's hairspray (White Rain, extra hold for those keeping score at home) and a rough dish sponge and it all came off very well.
    Great info, thanks! Did it eat through down to the bat and take off any of the game use on the bat?

Here's what it look like. Don't want to attempt to remove the tape glue if it would eat through and take up any of the game use
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I personally didn't try this method to remove tape from a game used bat. He seemed to post this info more as an FYI.

The original thread was about removing autographs from game used bats.

Good luck!

As long as the bat is finished, like most are (glossy), this method should do fine and not damage the bat in any way. But it is cleaning the area you spray, so be careful! Get that tape off of there! You will be happy you did!

Unfortunately, I do not have before photos of the bat with the gunk, but it was bad. Worse than i thought it would be. But here it is with the tape, without the tape, and a close up of where the tape was. Just my opinion, but the tape repair was so unsightly that anything would be better. But I was very happy with the way it turned out.

Tony,

I usually remove tape from a bat only if it was used to hold it together like some of the split bat i get from Steiner. If the bat was taped by the player for use and comes off because of wear or use I usually prefer to keep the tape remanents on. But that's just my preference.

Have you tried goo-gone? This may help.

Regards
    David

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    a rough dish sponge
    What kind of sponge is a rough dish sponge? Just like one of those normal yellow ones or one of the metal ones? I have a couple bats with the cracks taped up that I would like to remove.

Great info guys!

The tape was place over the crack on the bat. It was only once pieice of tape wrapped around the crap, but the tape has been on there for 14 years. The tape glue is very hard. Tried to even scape some if it with my finger nail, but it's so hard, it wouldn't even come off.

I'm so hesitant to even attempt to remove the tape, only because I don't want it to eat through down to the bat where you're able to tell the tape was there/removed. Especially with the use on this bat. Don't want to take up any of the game use.

What is the best product to use?
    Should I use a Q-tip vice sponge?
    Should I not put the product directly on the tape and let it soak, or put it on the sponge or Q-tip first to lightly go over it to test it?

So hesitant to try it, but this tape just doesn't look good.

Tony