Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Anyone know how to remove tape marks from a game used bat?

These are the items I used. The sponge is like a regular sponge on one side and much rougher, almost like steel wool but not quite that rough, on the other side. I know what you mean about the glue being so hard it seems like it is never going to come off. You have to soak it with the hairspray, scrub a bit, then soak it again, then scrub a bit more. I also used some warm water to wash all of the hairspray of the bat as soon as the gunk was gone. But in about ten minutes or so the bat will look all better!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Your comments and advice are truly appreciated. I am so hesitant to try anything. Don't want to ruin the bat. Here's results of my internet search, however, some of these would ruin the wood/bat.

I don't know what to try/do. Tony

25 Helpful Items To Remove Sticky Adhesive Goo

Things like price stickers and labels, different types of tape (packing, masking, scotch tape) can leave behind a sticky gooey residue that’s a tricky mess to remove. Here’s a list of items that can help make the cleanup job a lot easier.
    Careful: Please test in an unnoticeable area first to make sure there will be no damage to the surface (especially on wood).
    How To Remove Sticker Adhesive
    1. Nail Polish Remover
    2. Petroleum Jelly
    3. Toothpaste
    4. Hand Lotion
    5. Hair Spray
    6. Baby Oil (mineral oil)
    7. Vinegar (soak cloth, apply to goo then leave for awhile–even overnight)
    8. Rubbing Alcohol
    9. Windex
    10. Baking Soda & Water Paste (just rub gently into the goo, then wipe off with a warm wet cloth)
    11. Lighter Fluid
    12. Kerosene
    13. WD-40 (set for 5 minutes)
    14. Paint Thinner
    15. Rubber Cement Thinner
    16. Artgum Erasers
    17. Peanut Butter
    18. Vegetable Oil (set for about 2 hours)
    19. Margarine
    20. Mayonnaise (leave set for a few hours or overnight)
    21. Goo Gone
    22. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
    23. Furniture Polish
    24. For surfaces that you’re afraid to damage, try heating the sticky goo with a hair dryer then wiping off (firmly) with a wet warm & soapy cloth.
    25. Duct Tape (stick on goo firmly, life tape up quickly, repeat as needed)
    Tips to remove duct tape adhesive: try lighter fluid or WD-40
    Once adhesive goo has been removed, wash surface as you normally would. If one method doesn’t work for your particular sticky spot, wash off the remainder of the remedy you tried and choose another.

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    These are the items I used. The sponge is like a regular sponge on one side and much rougher, almost like steel wool but not quite that rough, on the other side. I know what you mean about the glue being so hard it seems like it is never going to come off. You have to soak it with the hairspray, scrub a bit, then soak it again, then scrub a bit more. I also used some warm water to wash all of the hairspray of the bat as soon as the gunk was gone. But in about ten minutes or so the bat will look all better!
    Were you able to tell that tape was removed? Did it go through to the bat?

The finish on the bat is unaffected so far as I can tell. The residue is gone, except if you look very closely in some areas in the grain there may be a tiny bit left, but I was a bit scared to keep scrubbing away and left well enough alone. But to answer your main question, the bat is undamaged and I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    The finish on the bat is unaffected so far as I can tell. The residue is gone, except if you look very closely in some areas in the grain there may be a tiny bit left, but I was a bit scared to keep scrubbing away and left well enough alone. But to answer your main question, the bat is undamaged and I would do this again in a heartbeat.
    I truly appreciate your help. I'm going to try it tonight.

I'm going to spray the scrubbing pad and then lightly rub the tape residue to see if it will come off. Don't want to spray and soak the tape residue, just in case it soaks through to the bat.

Hope it works.

Tony

As long as the finish on the bat is ok right now, I don't think the hairspray will penetrate it. You should be fine. I sprayed ALOT on the one I did, and no haziness or damage to the finish of the bat is evident. I just made sure that once the gunk was loose, I washed it all off ASAP.

the best one is goo gone. i use it to remove rubber cement so it definitely works on tape. i have tried some of the others on the list and they took the black paint off. squirt some on and let it sit, then start rubbing it with a rag. it won't leave any residue.

Quote Originally Posted by momen55 View Post
    the best one is goo gone. i use it to remove rubber cement so it definitely works on tape. i have tried some of the others on the list and they took the black paint off. squirt some on and let it sit, then start rubbing it with a rag. it won't leave any residue.
    Thanks! I'll try that first. I believe being more of a goo (if it's like jelly) than a liquid might be better. Also it won't eat through as fast. Will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for all the info, comments, and help! Tony

After thinking about it, it may not be a good idea. Looking at your black bat, not much pine tar and use underneath where the tape was. My bat does have alot of use underneath the tape. I don't see how I can remove only the tape glue, without it eating through to the bat.

It most likely will give me a clean ring around where the tape was and will look odd.

tony, i agree. if you suceed in removing the tape residue, the pine tar will go with it. i suppose you could apply some new pine tar, but that wouldnt match the old pine tar. your probably better off leaving the tape on in this situation. chris