X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigtruck260
    • Sep 2007

Re: Players you dislike!

Originally posted by godwulf
    I dunno...I got to see (and hear) a lot of Cubs fans up close - full body shiver - during the playoffs last year. I would have to categorize them more as "to be pitied" rather than actively "disliked". A dumber brood I have seldom observed. During one game, in particular, I sat next to a three-generation family of six or seven, and I swear they didn't have more than a half dozen thumbs between them.
    Coffee meet monitor via mouth.

This is an excellent observation. Except Dave M., my Ballhawk buddy and his fellow Hawks. They are super fans. Exception to the rule...

Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• suave1477
      Banned
      • Jan 2006

WOW WHERE DO I START WITH THIS ONE..............

I SECOND THE MOTION OF SKIPCAREY LOL LOL

Barry Bonds - name speaks for itself

Bob Gibson - not as a player but as himself he is extremely rude at signings

NOW MY ALL TIME 3 AND I THINK THEY ALL SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES BUT I WILL SAY IT ANYWAY

Carl Pavano - A waste of time, energy, money, and still taking up a spot on the yankees roster while he watches the games at home on tv.

Mike Hampton - Commands a high salary from the Mets and when they make it into the Post Season blames that he sucks because of the weather - well what did you expect when you signed with a team that has post season potential and plays in the North East????????? HELLO ITS OCTOBER - HOLD UP!!!! AND HAS BEEN SIGNED WITH THE BRAVES FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS AND STILL IS AND HAS YET TO EVEN PLAY IN A REGULAR SEASON GAME

Jaret Wright - Another waste!! was making 800,000 with the braves demands 5mil from the Yankees cuz we were desperate for a pitcher and does nothing for 2 years.

Comment

• Dewey2007
        • Dec 2007

These are 3 that come to mind:

Pete Rose
        Joe Montana
        Kirk Gibson

Rose because I just thought he was full of himself and everyone liked him so as a kid I had to go against the grain on that one. Kinda liked him more after I found out he was a dengenerate gambler.

I respected Joe just because he is/was the best QB ever but I just didn't care much for him. I think it's the fact that everyone rode his jock here in the Bay Area and I wasn't big on the 49ers. Also because I believe they covered up his rehab stint one year when he supposedly had a major back injury but somehow miraculously returned. At least that was the rumor.

Gibson for the one hit he had during the '88 series vs the A's + the fact that there's no way he should have gotten the MVP that year. How do you give MVP to a guy with these stats .290/25/76. Plus the fact he had the demeanor of a horse's backside made him easy to dislike.
        sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• suave1477
          Banned
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dewey2007

Kirk Gibson

Gibson for the one hit he had during the '88 series vs the A's + the fact that there's no way he should have gotten the MVP that year. How do you give MVP to a guy with these stats .290/25/76. Plus the fact he had the demeanor of a horse's backside made him easy to dislike.
          I will say this is possibly why Strawberry was supposed to get the MVP for this year and instead he was snubbed because of his off the field antics, so I can only imagine Gibson was next in line.So instead Strawberry came in as #2 for that year.

Comment

• hblakewolf
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Dewey2007

Pete Rose
            Joe Montana
            Kirk Gibson

Rose because I just thought he was full of himself and everyone liked him so as a kid I had to go against the grain on that one. Kinda liked him more after I found out he was a dengenerate gambler.

I respected Joe just because he is/was the best QB ever but I just didn't care much for him. I think it's the fact that everyone rode his jock here in the Bay Area and I wasn't big on the 49ers. Also because I believe they covered up his rehab stint one year when he supposedly had a major back injury but somehow miraculously returned. At least that was the rumor.

Dewey-

By far, based on the many many interactions I've had with MLB players (at the park, charity events, etc.), Kirk Gibson is hands down the worst player I've ever met.

Personally, I had an experience back in the mid 1990's with Kirk Gibson that I'll never forget.

While living in Seattle at the time, I went to the Mariners/Tigers game in the old Kingdome. I had Gibson’s mid 1980's Tigers game worn helmet with me in hopes of having him sign it. Upon entering the Dome during the Tigers BP, I spotted Gibson near the first base line. When I called him over, I asked him to sign his helmet. He asked where I got it, and I explained it was obtained from a friend in Detroit and provided the name (this person used to drive a limo and in exchange for $$$, Gibson would pilfer game used equipment). I said it was from "our mutual friend XXX". Gibson then became upset, and said “XXXX is no FxxxIN' friend, he's and acquaintance" and walked down towards the dugout. I then positioned my self behind the dugout, and when he came out with his bat for BP, I again asked if he could sign it. He looked up, and screamed, "Where the FxxK did you get the helmet?" I again told him from our friend in Detroit. At this point, quite a few of the Tigers heard this confrontation and gathered around the dugout to hear this exchange. Gibson continued and said, "That Mother FuXXXr was stolen.....is it cracked?.....is cracked????". I told hi it was not, and he continued, "......I would have never have given away an uncracked helmet. I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what......I'm going to watch where you sit tonight and if I break my helmet, I'm comin up there and getting yours". I told him it was not stolen, and I would swap him even up for the BP jersey he was wearing. Likewise, I told him that he used to pilfer a lot of game used equipment in exchange for limo service and at this point he began to walk towards the camera pit on the left side of the dugout and climb into the stands, all the while screaming at me "FucX you you mother FXXXXr". As he took his final step into the stands and in my direction, coach Dick Trasuski grabbed him and screamed "You don't talk to fans like that". Then Gibson broke loose, and walked into the outfield.

Needless to say, Kingdome security and the Seattle Police came down to take a report and get my thoughts on the incident.

Following this incident, I immediately sold the helmet (unautographed!) and never, to this day, forgot my encounter with the great Kirk Gibson.

Howard Wolf
            hblkakewolf@patmedia.net

Comment

• cards-bats
              • Aug 2006

Mike Schmidt.

He was signing at a show when I was a kid. I found the nicest Mike Schmidt rookie card I could find (grade quality) to have him sign. They weren't real expensive at the time. Maybe $15-$20 – can't remember.
              He could tell I was trying to be careful with it handing it to him as to not bend or knock the corners. He lays it on the table, signs it, looks at it for a second and then looks at me while he bends the corner of the card into the table. He gives me a smirks and says something about it being a nice card.
              What an A**.

Comment

• dcgreg25
                • Jan 2008

I have a number of players I root against but still respect. My biggest pet peeve is when players agree to take money for a signing and then show up and treat the fans like crap or ignore them.

One of the worst is Rich Gannon (met him at a signing at the pro bowl about five years ago). He wouldn't even look at fans and just ignored them when they tried to talk to him.

If you dont like interacting with fans don't take the money and agree to do the signing.

Comment

• Texans
                  • Nov 2005

The player I dislike the most is Tony Gwynn. I went to a card show and got an auto baseball. I asked to take a picture with him and he said no which was ok. 15 minutes later I saw him taking pictures with a person that had some of his game used stuff. What a jerk

Jojo

Comment

• sylbry
                    • Nov 2005

Kevin Walker, for what he inadvertantly did to Bo.
                    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Comment

• bigtruck260
                      • Sep 2007

Howard -

That Kirk Gibson story never gets old.
                      Dave
                      Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                      River City Redbird Authentics
                      http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• MikeSimon
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by gingi79
                        Yep! Well said. I took special joy in knowing so much of the Mitchell Report was directly associated with the Mutts.

Also on my list:

Mark Messier. As a Canucks fan, I'm bound by law to hate him

Steve Smith (The Blackhawk #5) For his cheap shot on Bure in 1996. He was never really the same

Chris Pronger. I hope someone accidentally slashes his Achilles heal in the playoffs. He is the cheapest dirtbag I ever witnessed. (especially trying to stomp on Kesler's leg with a skate blade.)

Boomer Esiason. Seriously, what an arrogant pompous ass. I hated him when he played for the Jets and he is simply disgusting to listen to on the radio. Get over yourself. You were the Trent Dilfer of your day, a never was. At least Trent won a Super Bowl.
                        Mark Messier is a loser in my books....and I'm Canadian. He refused to sign an autograph (for my young son) when he was with the Canucks. Pavel Bure had more class. He came by and took pics with us and signed Canuck's items for my boy.

"Moose" is more like a mouse

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                          • Oct 2005

Wade Boggs, just because.

Ken

Comment

• yanks12025
                            • Jan 2006

Manny Ramirez, I think he is a giant disgrace to baseball.

Comment

• 33bird
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2005

Barry Bonds of course. Cheater and the ultimate jerk.
                              Mike Tyson. He was at a bball game in Vegas. He wouldn't sign for any of the white kids, but he would sign for any kids of color.
                              Greg

Comment

• 33bird
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2005

Roger Clemens too. Something about him makes me want to just punch him in the face.

Comment

Working...