Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

1976 BiCentennial Patch ?

Hi Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between a replica BiCentennial Patch and the real deal?

Thanks,

Todd

Re: 1976 BiCentennial Patch ?

I think the real one has a red ring around the outside. I believe mine to be replica (no red ring).

Thanks for your help Rudy.

The real ones also appears to have copyright symbol on it...

The copyrigiht symbol that is referred to actually is the symbol followed by 1975 NL. There have been over the years many versions of reproductions all of which have some sort of flaw: wrong border, no backing , too large, too small, no copyright, wrong materials used,ect. There was a company I believe called Wallabe and Ward who was licensed to made reproduction patches that had a version that was pretty close to the original and those have been surfacing on ebay. The Henderson guide referenced incorrectly identifies the copy right symbol as copyright USA and the diameter as 3 3/8". It is actually closer to 3 5/8"

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    If anyone is interested, I have the patch at top in cohisbsmokers dec listing available. No red ring. LMK.

Bob

I picked up this Pirates jersey and it was sold as a 1976 Moreno rookie gamer but has a clear number change "3-something" turned to 18 and the tagging says 1974 set 1. It has the 1976 NL Centennial patch which looks to be legit to my untrained eye and it's professionally applied, no outline of another patch. In 1974 the Pirates lineup in the "30s" were Brett 30, Guisti 31, Hernandez 36, Moose 38, Patterson 32. I'd love to think it was a Moose but I think if it is a legit '74 it was probably Hernandez b/c of the size. Does the tagging look legit for 1974? Do you think it's conceivable that this was recycled for Moreno in 1976? I think he was a size 40 and this is a 42 but it's not that far off. Please note this is not for sale and will not be listed on ebay, I just want to find out what this is and would appreciate any insight. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Banned

Lightbulb Re: 1976 BiCentennial Patch ?

Tag and patch both look right. It's possible that the Bucs would have recycled a home 1974 jersey to 1976, after all, Moreno was just a call-up at the time.

Dave Miedema

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the insight!