Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JETEFAN
    • Dec 2005

"FOR SALE" Section ???

Has the "For Sale" section been discontinued again?

George
  • AWA85
    • Jan 2008

Re: "FOR SALE" Section ???

It has been taken down to give more light to the GUU Auction, I won't lie I realize how much I used to look at that page now that it is gone. Site just is not the same without it, but I guess the owe it to the people that put up their big items. More time for ebay is my case now.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• ndevlin
      • Mar 2008

It was one of the main reasons I looked at this site! Too bad its gone.

Comment

• 3arod13
        • Apr 2006

Just a thought, but would a "for sale" section really take anything away from an auction? I don't believe it would hurt the activity of an auction.
        Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• SkubeBats
          Banned
          • May 2006

The for sale section/ and wanted section is the only reason I come to this site, now that it's gone maybe I'll look some where else and spend my time. I don't see how this for sale section would hurt their auction!!!
          Thanks!!
          Jamie

Comment

• AWA85
            • Jan 2008

I agree, I took one look at the auction list and none of the items really fit into what I am looking for in my collection. The For Sale section was a nice alternative to EBAY with members we know and trust. I hope it is not gone for long, because it is a main reason many of us come to the site.
            Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• 3arod13
              • Apr 2006

Good thing about a "for sale" section is it also gives you an opportunity to negotiate price and/or a trade for a good deal. Auctions don't.
              Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• Dewey2007
                • Dec 2007

I agree with the others I don't think the "For Sale" section would hurt the auction at all. I think an auction stands out by the quality of the items that are up for bid and this auction has plenty of great stuff in it. If folks want an item in the auction they are going to bid regardless of whether the "For Sale" section is up or not.

At the least, I think the "For Sale" section could have stayed up until the listings for the auction were finalized and posted w/ pics, etc.??
                sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• shoremen44
                  • Jul 2007

I can see the reasoning behind removing the "for sale" section, but I agree with some of the other comments.

Based upon the initial list that was posted for the auction I am going to bid on several things... as well I have bought and sold some pieces in the past couple of weeks on the for sale section.

I dont think the section would hurt the auction results at all. I feel as though the "for sale" section is more for pieces that we may not always put up at auction... those rare players that maybe only one or two of us are interested in, something we could buy for $100 or less... they would be a waste at auction.

The auction is more for those high end items, as the preliminary list shows, that alot of us will be interested in.

Just my two cents
                  Bert
                  ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

Comment

• 3arod13
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by shoremen44
                    I can see the reasoning behind removing the "for sale" section, but I agree with some of the other comments.

Based upon the initial list that was posted for the auction I am going to bid on several things... as well I have bought and sold some pieces in the past couple of weeks on the for sale section.

I dont think the section would hurt the auction results at all. I feel as though the "for sale" section is more for pieces that we may not always put up at auction... those rare players that maybe only one or two of us are interested in, something we could buy for $100 or less... they would be a waste at auction.

The auction is more for those high end items, as the preliminary list shows, that alot of us will be interested in.

Just my two cents
                    Great points and well said!
                    Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• bigtruck260
                      • Sep 2007

Just to play devil's advocate for GUU...

So, there is a Matt Morris jersey up for auction this time around...by the last day of the auction, the jersey is up to $400. I know that I paid $170 for my Morris jersey with team paperwork - and I decide that I want to list it in the FOR SALE section during the last day of bidding for $250. Now that there is another jersey for sale - that is equal or greater quality for much less, I remove a potential bidding war if someone buys my jersey- and possibly take money out of a consigner's pocket (and GUU). If I had been the consigner...I think I would complain, and complain royally.

This site is a great tool for all of us, but it's not free to run. Memberships are only part of it. To undertake an auction the way these guys do it is daunting, and they deserve to be given comission for the work it takes to put it together and follow through after it is over.

I understand why they are temporarily removing the FOR SALE section.
                      It saddens me - but I know why it's being done. But, because of all of the wonderful communication I have here - and education I have received...I will be patient and wait until it comes back.

Dave
                      Dave
                      Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                      River City Redbird Authentics
                      http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• toddhead
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by bigtruck260

So, there is a Matt Morris jersey up for auction this time around...by the last day of the auction, the jersey is up to $400. I know that I paid $170 for my Morris jersey with team paperwork - and I decide that I want to list it in the FOR SALE section during the last day of bidding for $250. Now that there is another jersey for sale - that is equal or greater quality for much less, I remove a potential bidding war if someone buys my jersey- and possibly take money out of a consigner's pocket (and GUU). If I had been the consigner...I think I would complain, and complain royally.
                        You hit the nail on the head right there. It wouldn't be fair to the consignors to have the for sale section open.

I would suggest just posting in the Wanted forum if you are looking for something. To leave the site just because they are protecting their consignors is silly.
                        Always on the lookout for Garin Cecchini game used items especially Greenville Drive and Salem Red Sox jerseys.
                        I accept PM's so shoot me a message.

Comment

• karamaxjoe
                          • Nov 2005

If you come to this forum just for the For Sale and Wanted sections, then you are really missing out on the value of this website. If you have been posting on this forum for a while, you should have known the For Sale section would be disappearing until the auction was over. Chris even made that announcement a few days ago. I for one am consigning an item and would be extremely upset to find someone using the auction to undercut pricing on an item they were selling.

I would recommend everyone take the time to read the discussion sections. You might just save yourself a lot of money in the future.

Mike
                          Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
                          ~ Bill Veeck

sigpic

Comment

• JimCaravello
                            • Jan 1970

Amen Mike - I have learned so much about football lids and jerseys in the past six months - it's just ridiculous..........the information embedded within the various sections of the Forum is unbelievable..........The Namath helmet discussion was just fantastic.................

Comment

• PK
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by bigtruck260

This site is a great tool for all of us, but it's not free to run. Memberships are only part of it. To undertake an auction the way these guys do it is daunting, and they deserve to be given comission for the work it takes to put it together and follow through after it is over.

I understand why they are temporarily removing the FOR SALE section.
                              It saddens me - but I know why it's being done. But, because of all of the wonderful communication I have here - and education I have received...I will be patient and wait until it comes back.

Dave
                              Then just make a rule you are not alowed to post any items of the same players that are in the auction. Thay way there is no conflict as with your scenario..I can see both sides, but in the end a for sale section will not dillute the auction prices much, if any

Comment

Working...