X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TNTtoys
    • Aug 2006

Re: "FOR SALE" Section ???

Originally posted by PK
    Then just make a rule you are not alowed to post any items of the same players that are in the auction. Thay way there is no conflict as with your scenario..I can see both sides, but in the end a for sale section will not dillute the auction prices much, if any
    Again, you have some gray area... a line needs to be drawn somewhere. Suppose I am in the market for a 1980s Mets jersey, because I want that kind of jersey to add to my collection. I am thinking about bidding on the Davey Johnson jersey that's in the current GUU auction, but with 1 day to go, along comes a same era Bud Harrelson jersey on the for sale board at $100 cheaper. I decide that I want the Bud Harrelson instead... I buy a jersey that meets my buying want. The GUU auction consigner loses on a potential bidder. My point is that not everyone has the same collecting needs, and to allow some items to be listed on a for sale board and disallow others will directly hurt some auction sellers. I don't have a problem letting this board go during the duration of the auction. It's really the only way we can fairly level the playing field, and it's not that we haven't been forewarned with plenty of notice...
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• dcrules01
      • Nov 2005

Nick give me a holler later if you get a chance....
      Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• geoff
        • Nov 2005

I also love the For Sale section and bought great items from it.But I will still be looking at this site everyday like I have done since Oct 05.I do hope the For Sale Section does come back soon though.

Comment

• kellsox
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by TNTtoys
          Again, you have some gray area... a line needs to be drawn somewhere. Suppose I am in the market for a 1980s Mets jersey, because I want that kind of jersey to add to my collection. I am thinking about bidding on the Davey Johnson jersey that's in the current GUU auction, but with 1 day to go, along comes a same era Bud Harrelson jersey on the for sale board at $100 cheaper. I decide that I want the Bud Harrelson instead... I buy a jersey that meets my buying want. The GUU auction consigner loses on a potential bidder. My point is that not everyone has the same collecting needs, and to allow some items to be listed on a for sale board and disallow others will directly hurt some auction sellers. I don't have a problem letting this board go during the duration of the auction. It's really the only way we can fairly level the playing field, and it's not that we haven't been forewarned with plenty of notice...

That harrelson jersey will be put for sale somewhere else(eBay?) and you may end up spending your $ there. I would post items here before listing on eBay- now it goes straight to eBay w/o putting it out to board members 1st. I enjoyed the For Sale section, not only to enhance my collection, but also to see what else is out there. Also of note- after last auction there was not going to be a "For Sale" section. There was supposed to be a big change and a newly formatted system to sell items on the site. Members asked for the FS section and it was put back with the thought that the new system would be out shortly. Mods said that the change would be made in Dec(I think). Whatever happened to that???
          kelly

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
            • Oct 2005

For those of you new to the site, this is an old topic. It gets taken down when there's an auction. Its not a big deal and if you only come here for the "for sale" section and feel the need to leave, dont let the door hit ya. The people that run this forum do this out of their own pockets and for the love of the hobby. If all you want is a for sale section, go read the classifieds. If you actually wish to contribute something to the hobby, then stick around.

Jim

Comment

• b.heagy
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Vintagedeputy
              For those of you new to the site, this is an old topic. It gets taken down when there's an auction. Its not a big deal and if you only come here for the "for sale" section and feel the need to leave, dont let the door hit ya. The people that run this forum do this out of their own pockets and for the love of the hobby. If all you want is a for sale section, go read the classifieds. If you actually wish to contribute something to the hobby, then stick around.

Jim
              Amen Jim,
              This gets old fast. Gone for 3 days and already a thread about it. It was announced that the for sale section would be removed in a seperate thread. The for sale section was free of charge (no financial benefiet for the forum). The new format will have fees but the mods brought back the section the last time when they did not want to. Come on guys give it a break. The auction is a great thing with good intentions and some fabulous items.
              Bill Heagy
              heagysports.com
              Go Phillies !

Comment

• yankees159
                • Aug 2005

Guys I think the point we are all missing is that GUU is as much a business as auction houses. The major point of difference is that it truly helps the collector by protecting them from all of the fraude that is in the industry. I know that it has educate me and has open my eyes to the con-artists that pray on collectors.

So with that being said, I feel GUU is entitled to make money just like the forum members who have sold items for free for the past few years. It's time we pay back to GUU to ensure that we can continue to enjoy this community of passonate GU collectors.

Just my opinion, I hope others will agree.

TW

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                  • Nov 2005

Its not a big deal and if you only come here for the "for sale" section and feel the need to leave, dont let the door hit ya.
                  Deja vu' all over again...
                  However, since the last debate on this same topic, I have made my first purchase from the for sale section (thanks, Dewey). I still think this forum is fun without the for sale section. We need to let the GUU auction owners take a crack at capitalism. Also, the GUU auction shows needed transparency, by having an inhouse staff of authenticators always on patrol (this forum). This website still hasn't cost ME anything.

Comment

• cohibasmoker
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2005

The "For Sale" section was put there by our gracious hosts. It's only part of what makes this site so appealing. All our hosts ask is, during their auction, they take the "For Sale" section down. Once the auction is over, they put the "For Sale" section back up. So, what's wrong with that?

It's their website and for myself, I am happy that the site exists let alone a section that allows members to offer items "For Sale" section that is "free of Charge".

But that's just my opinion.

Jim

Comment

• JETEFAN
                      • Dec 2005

The reason for my question was because I had not seen the post on the "For Sale" section being discontinued. Since the auction is sometime in April, I thought maybe there was another reason for it being discontinued now. And as for the comments of using the forum strictly for the for sale section, that is not the case. I have been here almost since the start of the Forum and I couldn't put a price on the knowledge and help I have recieved. I would also like to think my input over the years has helped others. I would be the first one to say that the time and effort put forth by all involved in keeping this forum going certainly warrants compensation. It is also important to keep in mind that what keeps this forum going is it's members, and the "For Sale " section in my opinion is one of if not the main event, people will ask and question each and every time it is withdrawn even if it's for a short period of time. It was not my intention to question it's removal, only asking why. Thanks to the administration for all it's hard work and efforts in keeping this alive, it is through forums like this and others that has helped take this hobby to the next level.

George

Comment

• metsbats
                        • Nov 2005

Jim

Jim,

Completely agree with you and with Mike's comments. This is an old topic and it's seems to be always the same folks who are complaining about the for sale section closed during auctions.

I can't wait for the new for sale section to go into operation and i personally wouldn't mind paying a fee for it as it will weed out the real sellers from the speculators/watchers.

David
                        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                          • Oct 2005

David,

Thank you. It always amazes me that people who are getting something for free will complain when the free thing goes away (albeit temporarily). They never appreciate all the time that the thing was given to them freely. I'm wondering if we shouldn't all pay some kind of nominal membership fee to be members here. That way people will actually have a legitmate say in what they are crying about.

just my .02

Jim

Comment

• Dewey2007
                            • Dec 2007

I have only been a member of the forum for a short time and do enjoy the "For Sale" section too but if it has to go away for awhile because of the auction then no harm in that. Those committing items to the auction deserve the full attention they are being provided.

It is very nice that GUU provides this section free of charge so no complaints on my end.
                            sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• whatupyos
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2005

It's not like they took away the items wanted section. Can't you just post items you are looking for, and hope someone will respond?

Aaron

Comment

• chakes89
                                • May 2006

I see it like this, if you dont like how the site is being run don't come back

If you feel the need to complain about the temporary removal of a small part of the site you are obviously here for all the wrong reasons

No one is forcing you to look at the forums

And if someone is forcing you read this site you have bigger problems to worry about than the removal of the for sale forum
                                I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Comment

Working...