Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Jaworski Eagles jersey on eBay... Hmmm...

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-USED-WORN-R...QQcmdZViewItem

I've looked at probably 50+ pics on www.gettyimages.com and other archival sites and in EVERY pic, Jaworski has a green stripe at the end of each sleeve (on his green jerseys). This jersey does not have that green stripe... I asked the seller and he said that the sleeves were cut off at the white stripe... everything else looks good on the jersey but the stripes have to be a serious concern. Am I wrong here?!?

Thanks,
    Roger

Re: Jaworski Eagles jersey on eBay... Hmmm...

I was more concerned with the the Russell neck tag, nameplate font, no year tag and jersey appears to be cut (seller has not confirmed).

Here is another Eagles jersey from '82 which seems to match photos of other Jaworksi jerseys from this era with a "thinner" font...thoughts anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I contacted the seller and told him I couldn't match the jersey to any photos...he called me an "idiot" as he informed me the jersey has been in the hands of several authenticators....wow, it must be real

Quote Originally Posted by beantown View Post
    I contacted the seller and told him I couldn't match the jersey to any photos...he called me an "idiot" as he informed me the jersey has been in the hands of several authenticators....wow, it must be real
    I like how he "misplaces" the only shred of provenance that supposedly came with this jersey, and he calls YOU the idiot...

Quote Originally Posted by beantown View Post
    yeah, that's a guy you wanna do biz with, eh? fwiw his "jaworski" lid is the same one that sold for $3,700+++ at american memorabilia in 2005. the lid strikes me as an authentic eagles lid from the '80s but i'm pretty sure jaworski never wore that style of facemask - he wore several different masks during his pro career but, again, never that one.

There is now a 0 feedback bidder who has made eight bids on items and seven have come on this item. You know what I think? Yeaaahhhh....

As for the helmet, I have Cunningham and Reggie White helmets, both from the mid-80s and both have name stickers that are dark green, almost blending in with the color of the helmet. This one not only looks new but is bright green.

In general, the bad customer service, blurry photos, and inconsistencies in the items make for the kind of items I have decided to let go to another buyer.

Roger

Won by the bidder with ZERO feedback for $830.00. The bidder has been registered and an ebay member since Mar 10, 2000. Over eight years, and zero feedback? Come on.

Roger, what year is your Reggie White helmet from? Any idea? I own one that I believe he wore in 1987, so I was wondering about yours.

It has been so long since I have matched it up that I forget offhand. I got it early in my collecting days and trusted the Lampson LOA a little too much. I received it and realized everything was correct on it except it had a protective strip over the crown of the helmet and every photo I researched had him wearing a helmet without this strip. So it took about two years of looking through magazines, football cards, and newspaper pictures before I found that there was a year he wore the helmet with the strip. The reason I had such a hard time is that it did not come close to matching the approximate date suggested in the Lampson LOA. Below is (hopefully) a picture of the helmet. Shoot me a photo or two of yours and I'll see if I can match it up.

Name:  reggie%20white%20(1).jpg
Views: 389
Size:  130.0 KB

The helmet that I have is a Riddell. White wore both while playing with the Eagles, and wore Riddell with the Packers. I will get some photos of it tomorrow and send them to you. What is your email? I will post some here as well. Mine has the strip that you talk about, but it covers and protects the valves of the padding for the Riddell helmet. The strip is beaten pretty good in the front, but you can see where it was cut at an angle above the nose bumper. In photos from 1987, that strip is cut at the same angle. All of the date codes line up from the mask, shell, and clips. In addition, I have matched the decals on the rear as well. The size of the helmet is an 8. I know he had a huge melon, but I have yet to confirm that. In the 80's, they had the size decal on the rear as well as on the inside, so I am trying to match that up.

Quote Originally Posted by gameusedfan View Post
    It has been so long since I have matched it up that I forget offhand. I got it early in my collecting days and trusted the Lampson LOA a little too much. I received it and realized everything was correct on it except it had a protective strip over the crown of the helmet and every photo I researched had him wearing a helmet without this strip. So it took about two years of looking through magazines, football cards, and newspaper pictures before I found that there was a year he wore the helmet with the strip. The reason I had such a hard time is that it did not come close to matching the approximate date suggested in the Lampson LOA. Below is (hopefully) a picture of the helmet. Shoot me a photo or two of yours and I'll see if I can match it up.

Attachment 12880
    the thing that always amazes me about lampson and auction houses is that they will go on and on about dates found on recondition decals, dates written in magic marker on the inside of the lid, dates on clips or offer some ambiguous date information such "this helmet dates to the late 80s, early 90s. rarely (never?) do these folks simply state that helmet has a manufacturer's date stamp of xxxx which would of course answer a lot of questions - and the reason for this, imo, is that these folks aren't/weren't aware of these date codes or simply didn't know how to read schutt or wilson date codes or know where to look for riddell's circa 80s and later date codes.

below is a copy of lampsons letter that came with your helmet when it sold for $585 some time ago - lampson correctly points out that there are a lot of problems with the lid including facemask, clips and chinstrap, etc. - but what i'm curious about is what he was referring to when he stated that "the lower right side is stamped 1988". is this a stamp that appears on a decal? on the shell? is it a heat stamp? also, what is the manufacturers date appearing on your helmet? you should be able to find it on the inside of the shell, top crown area, small circle - let me know if you would....

btw, i have many photos that show rw's lid with the transparent valve protection tape - what i don't have or what i haven't seen is a shot of him wearing a lid with the tape cut off where it is on your helmet. all the shots i have show the tape running length of the lid....