Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hank Aaron game-used bat on ebay

Anyone have any thoughts on this bat that started with no reserve at $.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANK-AARON-GAME-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Always looking for Atlanta Braves Game-Used items. hiramman@bellsouth.net

Re: Hank Aaron game-used bat on ebay

I'm not making any judgements on the bat, but this seller has been discussed before.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ighlight=YOUNT
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Curious about anyone's thoughts on his Brett bat as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GEORGE-BRETT-GAM...QQcmdZViewItem

Never see anybody but superstars offered by this guy. Lots of hats and helmets with plain white numerals. I've bookmarked half of dozen of his items in the past and they've been pulled each time at the last minute, then relisted a month later. Even if I wanted to bid on something, I probably wouldn't because it's likely to get yanked due to an "error" in the listing.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Banned

I would have to say most of his items are verry questionable. I would like to make a point on this bat. How many bats from the early 1970's have you seen where the ball has left ink transfers on the bat. I once heard baseball from that time wouldn't leave ink marks like the ball they use now. I think I read this on MEARS web site some time ago. I've talked to this guy a couple of times on the phone, and his stories never match up. I seen this bat also and was interested in it until I saw who was selling it. I hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Jamie
    jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

P.S. I'm always looking for game used bats from the Milwaukee Braves and Brewers...

Wow! I just finished reading the posts in the other threads. I would stay clear of this individual.

Quote Originally Posted by skipcareyisfat View Post
    Curious about anyone's thoughts on his Brett bat as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GEORGE-BRETT-GAM...QQcmdZViewItem

Never see anybody but superstars offered by this guy. Lots of hats and helmets with plain white numerals. I've bookmarked half of dozen of his items in the past and they've been pulled each time at the last minute, then relisted a month later. Even if I wanted to bid on something, I probably wouldn't because it's likely to get yanked due to an "error" in the listing.

I looked at the Brett bat - and something is just not sitting right with me.
    I noticed in one picture, his fingers have some tar on them.

The Brett bat has a massive amount of tar - BUT, I have bats from that era with tar, and have never had that much come off on my hands. It turns into a hard resin that doesn't really transfer.

Does the tar look too "fresh"?
    Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post

The Brett bat has a massive amount of tar - BUT, I have bats from that era with tar, and have never had that much come off on my hands. It turns into a hard resin that doesn't really transfer.

Dave

Dave, I was wondering the same thing. I have a coupla bats from late 80s/early 90s that have a decent amount of tar on them and none are messy to handle. I guess it's the skeptic in me, but one of the first thoughts that came to mind when I saw manica's Brett was holding the bat and getting a bunch of tar all over myself.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post

Dave
    Here is a Dave Martinez bat from 1998 or 1999 , just covered in pine tar and is completely dry ..........

Also a 1979 Glenn Borgmann bat with pine tar that is almost thirty years old...... and is dry ....

Name:  pinetar1.jpg
Views: 9564
Size:  152.7 KB

Name:  pinetar2.jpg
Views: 1984
Size:  87.2 KB
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

I have to agree that pine tar on the Brett bat looks very unnatural. I had a Brett gamer from the '81 season and it had lots of pine tar but nothing like that. Looks very overdone.

I don't know if this has any relevance but it looks to me like that pine tar is past the legal mark and would have definitely drawn the attention of the umps and not been able to be used in game since the date of this bat was well after the famous "Pine Tar" game vs the Yankees.

Is that pine tar covering a possible crack??

Quote Originally Posted by camarokids View Post
    Here is a Dave Martinez bat from 1998 or 1999 , just covered in pine tar and is completely dry ..........

Also a 1979 Glenn Borgmann bat with pine tar that is almost thirty years old...... and is dry ....

Attachment 12842

Attachment 12843
    Here a 93 gamer of Mcgwire.I'm no brett bat expert but that looks like it has 3 inch thick tar.
    Carlie Medina III
    carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net