while perusing the current Huggins & Scott auction, i noticed a lot that included a "game used Roberto Alomar jersey" - http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...pl?itemid=8399

long story short, it's not. i contacted Huggins & Scott and they quickly amended the description. no big deal. i'm posting because there may be some jays fans interested in what makes this jersey "not good".

in this particular jersey style, 1990 was the only year that wilson put the tag in the body. all other years it was in the collar. the tag in the collar confirms it's from 1990. the tag has the year only though indicating it was originally intended to be a spare jersey. jerseys made at the factory for specific players in mind had strip tags with the uniform number, year, and set number. alomar didn't play for the jays in 1990. his first year with them was 1991. it's not a 1991 jersey because it lacks the all-star game patch which the jays wore during all of 1991 as toronto hosted the all-star game that season. the other reason it's not from 1991-1993 is because the nob is the wrong font. it's too thick and the incorrect style is most pronounced in the "A". here's how the "A" should look:

it should be a flat-top "A". the auction jersey shows a sharp-top "A". the jays switched to the thick font and sharp-top "A" in mid-94. by 1995, all of their jerseys used the font seen in the auction jersey. however it's not a 1994 jersey because it lacks the MLB 125 patch. i have a very hard time believing that in 1995, the jays took a 5-year old spare and had it made into a jersey for their premier player who had been with them since 1991.

anyhoo...hoping that enlightened at least one person out there.

rudy.