Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Semi OT: Need Some eBay Advice

Dear eBay Selling Pros,

I bought a Lance Berkman card for $317.17 last December. I've had it on eBay before a few times for BIN/BO and didn't want to part with it for under $300. I got offered as much as $275 for it but refused.

So I decided to put it on eBay and start it at $99 with no reserve. There are under two days left in the auction, and the card is at merely $116.50. There are 11 watchers, but I'd rather keep the card than sell it for anything less than $200.

If you were me, would you pull the auction? Would you wait it out? It's a nice card, but I need to pay another GUF member off for a big g/u purchase. Thanks for any help you can provide. Here is a link to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/Triple-Threads-L...QQcmdZViewItem
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Re: Semi OT: Need Some eBay Advice

Keep it!

How would you feel if you had your eye on something, and just before the auction ended, it was pulled?? Personally, I hate when sellers do that. Broadway Rick if LEGENDARY for it, and I will not bid in his auctions because of it.

How do you know 2 snipers don't have $400 bids?

I say, if you don't want to sell it for the minimum bid, don't make that the minimum bid!

Ken

I agree with Ken 100%. Broadway Rick has done the same to me. You should have accepted the $275 offer.
    Always looking for Atlanta Braves Game-Used items. hiramman@bellsouth.net

I think you have to leave it and hope it gets shot up. It is just not the honest thing to do by taking it down. Plus with 11 watchers you never know what will happen in the end!
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Quote Originally Posted by hiramman View Post
    I agree with Ken 100%. Broadway Rick has done the same to me. You should have accepted the $275 offer.
    You guys definitely make good points. I don't want to lose my credibility with Berkman collectors, because I have some of his other cards that I probably want to sell.

Just imagine my position. I am 23 and am a junior at a small liberal arts college in Portland. I owe a GUF forum a good chunk of change, and I need to get a good amount of money for the card.

What would you do if you were in my position?

-frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    You guys definitely make good points. I don't want to lose my credibility with Berkman collectors, because I have some of his other cards that I probably want to sell.

Just imagine my position. I am 23 and am a junior at a small liberal arts college in Portland. I owe a GUF forum a good chunk of change, and I need to get a good amount of money for the card.

What would you do if you were in my position?

-frik
    Sounds like you wanted to move it anyway, you will probably get a decent amount for it...many times I have been suprised at the last minute.

It is a lesson learned for a 23 year old at college. What if you were in a car dealership and the dealer told you a car was $1000 - you go home and have your heart set on it...you already have the crown air freshener picked out. You go back the next day and the dealer says "nope, boss says that the price is too low."

You would be ticked.

Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You need to let it ride. What if everyone that put a no reserve auction up, pulled it if they did not get what they expected? There is a reason that there is an option to set a reserve. If you are so cheap that you did not want to pay the small fee for the reserve when you listed the card, then you have to be prepared for the ramifications should the item not bring what you want for it.

We've all found ourselves in this situation before. You put something up for bid and it looks like it's tanking for several days. Sometimes they do and sometimes they'll surprise you in the end.
    As far as what's "fair" to potential bidders..........you own it, you determine what gets done with the item. If you want to yank it, then yank it. If somebody is so crushed because a mere card they were bidding on disappears from the market then they need to seek some mental help. That's not your problem. Most ebay users accept that sometimes items just go POOF! and they're gone. It happens. It's your card, you make the dicisions concerning it.
    That being said, I think that with 11 watchers you will probably be very surprised at the last minute scramble of bidding. You could do very well on the card, and I think it's entirely worth the gamble.
    My 2 centabos.

I also hate when sellers pull things before auction ends. Why don't sellers just use:

* "Buy it Now" with a "Make and Offer" option; or

* Just a reserve price

Personally, I like the "buy it now" with make an offer option myself.\

I hate when I'm watching an auction for 10 days and then it's end 1 days short, because the price isn't where the seller wants it.