Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Photomatch help on 1998 Mark McGwire Game-Used Bat

Hello,

I just recently purchased/won the 1998 Mark McGwire Game-Used/Auto Rawlings bat through Huggins and Scott auction that ended tonight. I'm posting here tonight to see if anyone could share some light on what they think about this being a possible match on photos from Getty Images.

These photos are from Aprill 11, 1998 vs. SF Giants.

I have also posted a photograph that Kyle Hess did on his belief to why it is a photomatch. Does anyone else wish to comment?

Also, the next day Mark went 3 for 4 with three homeruns vs. the Arizona Diamondbacks. I have searched Getty and could not find any game shots. I was wondering if someone could help me find a few photographs/or video footage of him in that game with his bat. This could possibly be the bat he used to hit HR's #5, #6, #7... Which would be pretty cool!

If you look at photo #5 (McGwire Check Swing) and compare it to photo #2 you can see the mark that runs horizontal which kinda looks like a burn mark (darker shade) and the black marks. Any comments?

Thanks in advance!
    Taylor
    Tay1038@aol.com
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Re: Photomatch help on 1998 Mark McGwire Game-Used Bat

Hi Taylor

I would love to have bid on this bat but I have a commitment that I couldn't pass up.You pitchers looks like the one you won but I'm no expert... The only problem I have with this bat is the PSA/DNA grade 9.I thought it was too high of a grade from what I can see from the pics.Your bat does have all the goods of a great MAC Bat,including a sweet autograph.

Carlie Medina III
    carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

Hi Carlie,

Thanks for the response. It's always nice to hear others thoughts.

***NOTE***
    In my initial post, I stated photos were from April 11, 1998 when actually,

Photo #4 - Is from April 13, 1998
    Photo #5 - Is from April 12, 1998

I just wanted to clarify that McGwire hit homeruns #7, #8, #9 on April 14, 1998 vs Arizona Diamondbacks @ Busch Stadium. Not #5, #6, #7. This bat looks to be already matched on April 12th, and 13th @ Com Park.

Homerun #7 - 3rd Inning off Jeff Supan
    Homerun #8 - 5th Inning off Jeff Supan
    Homerun #9 - 8th Inning off Barry Manuel

I would still like to hear any thoughts on these possible photomatches from other members.

Those photos look like the bat to me. I would call it a photo match.

I say no match.

Not by that photo anyway. The bat he's holding is turned too much and is too blurry to be certain......

re: the pics provided

my vote: uncertain. while i don't think the pics show a solid match, they also don't seem to discount the bat outright.

rudy.

Thanks to the both of you for your comments...

"VintageDeputy"
    I agree with you on the quality of the photograph(s) but I don't agree with you on the position in which you think the bat is in. I think the position/markings on that bat lines up just right. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how you think the bat it turned to much to throw the chance that it is not a match. Could you go more in depth to why you think the bat it turned too much/not a match?

"Rudy"
    I also agree with you on the photo part. The visual is not totally crystal clear. I think it's possible that its the same bat, but like Jeff @ Birdbats told me, "you'd almost need the clarity of first generation prints to know for sure." "I certainly wouldn't rule it out based on those shots." I totally agree. But for right now, this is all i have

"For the both of you"

Please take a look again at the pattern from the markings on the barrel. In the photograph with McGwire and the bat (Check swing) there are 3-4 distinct markings on the barrel. If you start off in the middle of the barrel, you'll see the burn looking mark that runs horizontal. The size, shape, and distance to me looks to be very similar if not exact. From there go up diagonal to the right and you'll see the two corresponding black ball marks with almost, if not the exact spacing between the two of them as well. Finally, if you head southwest from there you'll see the lonely ball mark. The position of all of these can still be seen pretty clear even without a crystal clear photograph of it. Any comments after that?

Kyle Hess, Rob Steinmetz... Any input? Anyone else.. ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think that the ball mark you mention is larger on the game photo than your bat. Also, the other marks appear to me to be closer/further apart between the photos. Photos can be deceiving though. Did you have any info that brought you to that specific date?

I would say not a match, although the markings on the barrel look to be similar to the getty pics, you need to look at the Rawlings centerbrand (black oval ring), look at the getty pics it looks like the black ring is farther from the red ring. On your bat the black oval is closer to the red ring.

Bobby