Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Your Collectible Is 100% Authentic...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    They can guarantee it up and down the street, but check #16 in the auction rules.

16. Please bid with confidence. Third party authenticators have professionally examined all items in this auction. Please do not bid on the lot if you are uncomfortable with the authenticator. ALL SALES ARE FINAL.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Rules.asp

yeah, i saw that too eric. what's interesting is that the "100% guarantee" i quoted is actually from ami's "100% authentic" website, not their auction website. so out of one side of their mouth ami is telling collectors and auction houses that, through their authentication service website, if "unsure about the authenticity of your collectable let use give you our 100% guarantee that your collectible is 100% authentic." and out of the other side of their mouth they are telling collectors at their auction website that they won't stand behind their own "100% guarantee", that they consider themselves third party authenticators.....

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard
    Maybe someone can forward this message to Lou Lampson. I urge Mr. Lampson to join this forum. Admit your mistakes and pledge to never let them happen again. Take the criticism and ridicule, then the dust will settle and the smoke will clear, and you will smell rosey. Folks dig others who admit their errors. Lampson has apologists. These apologists will help with the confession. Show this forum examples of research you've done in the past, and how you've helped the hobby. Also, ask questions to this forum. I know that forum members can help with your research. Regardless of what you've been told: YOU DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERY TEAM, FROM EVERY SPORT, FROM EVERY YEAR. Forum members will bash you, but take your lumps and move on! And also, Oswald acted alone.

unfortunately, as we all know, there is absolutely no incentive whatsoever for lampson to do what you suggest, even though it's a great suggestion. and while the notion of lampson or any other professional authenticator asking forum members for help seems logical and mutually beneficial, can you imagine how that would play out in the real world? it would take about a new york second for a frustrated collector to respond to a question with... "are you kidding me? you actually have to come here to ask if that's a '98 or '99 gamer? what the h#@ are you getting paid for..." - can you imagine what the comments would begin to look like after the third or fourth plea for help?

and whether we like it or not, loas/coas, are not worthless - they add a definite value to an item regardless if they should or not, imho that is. i can't imagine a collector selling an item from his collection, that came with a lou lampson coa, without the paper - for obvious reasons. further, i can't believe too many collectors would toss a lampson coa, especially if he nailed the item.

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker
    I for one am going to email Mr. Nerat and SCD and point out that Mr. Aeneas01 is at it again.
    please do! and since you are going to go through the trouble you might as well ask young nerat to explain how ami and their crack team could have missed something as obvious as the rear bumper padding. the photos on the left show the smaller (narrower) rear bumper pad found on more contemporary helmets - the bottom photo on left is the "smith helmet" ami sold which shows the same small bumper. the photos on the right show the older, wider rear bumper pad which is what smith clearly sported on his helmet in 1995 - compare the top corners of the bumper pad to the center line of the helmet...

guess it's too late for some sports publications to tell the guy that dropped $3,500++ on this lid that ami's authenticators will catch these problems, and many more not even mentioned, once they fly in to physically inspect the items...

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan14
    Many continue to point out mistakes and misrepresentations by auction houses (in this case AMI) but yet AMI and others continue to rake in astonishing and inflated prices! Where are these bidders coming from? I bet that many who post here and bash them are also bidding in their auctions, paying their insane hammer fees (fees I thought were mainly reasoned by them being able to authenticate items), and making them very rich people.
    i think the game-used collectors here at the forum make up a very, very small percentage of those that collect game-used items. further, i believe that the vast majority of game-used collectors have never heard of this wonderful resource, guu (although i'm certain guu is on the radar of just about every sports memorabilia auction house). as such, auction houses will continue to thrive and so will loas/coas. as far as guu members that continue to buy at these auction houses are concerned, a deal is a deal and you can still get lucky at a big auction house, even after hammer fees.

Banned

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the absence of the "Voice of the Hobby" a.k.a. SCD from all of the Aeneas01 threads?

Aenesa01 has made some very valid points which in turn raises some serious issues involving some high ticket items yet the "Voice of the Hobby" is nowhere to be found!!!

Are we to assume that all of the concerns posted on this forum are not credible enough for SCD to get their crack investigative teams together for the "good" of the hobby?

But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Are we to assume that all of the concerns posted on this forum are not credible enough for SCD to get their crack investigative teams together for the "good" of the hobby?
    that's an interesting question - and it will become even more interesting as guu continues to gain more and more attention through their auctions.

You would think that the 100% Authentic team could at least remove and correctly re-install the side clips on that E. Smith helmet.

Geez.