Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Overpaying for your Holy Grail?

I've been looking for a particular game-used bat for a couple of years... not exactly my Holy Grail, but close. The bat is being offered by the "exclusive dealer" to a player. I estimate I'd be paying about $400 more than I'd likely ever get back. What do you think about overpaying for your (near) Holy Grail?

Thanks.

Re: Overpaying for your Holy Grail?

Very good question.

If it is something that I think may not come around again - certainly.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just bought something that I sold in the past but regretted it after. I ended up paying almost twice what I sold it for to get it back. I shouldn't have sold it to begin with!

If you know it may not come around again, for $400 I would say to do it.

If it's your holy grail, it's not necessarily about the value of the item. It's about the value to you. Would you rather overpay and have it in your collection, or let it go and know that someone else has it.

This is a right situation to overpay if it means that much to you. Also, chances are, if it's your holy grail, you're not buying it to re-sell, you're buying it to keep. So it comes back to- "The value of the item, is the value you put on it."

I haven't had my coffee yet, so I'm not sure if that even makes sense...
    Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Collect what makes you happy. If you're willing to buy the item at the dealer's cost, what difference does it make if nobody else on Earth would spend that much? Unless you're investing to resell at a profit, buy what you like at the cost you're willing to pay. On the other hand, if you've been looking at the bat for a couple of years, it sounds like you're not that willing. That's fine, too.

I've overpaid for bats that filled holes in my collection. Just last night, I spent $158.50 on a Steve Kline bat. The bat is worth nowhere near that price, but he was a short reliever on the 2004 Cardinals -- tough bat on a team I collect. So, I overpaid. Financially, it was a dumb move. But, it's only the second Kline bat I've ever seen.

I recently bought a Rams jersey that I have been seeking for awhile in the most recent American Memorabilia auction and I'm quite sure I overpaid. It is a jersey with great wear from an important season worn by an important player from that season so I had no idea when another might ever come around again.

It seems like everyone, that has posted thus far, agrees. I'm with them. I've overpaid for a few items, in similar situations. But my grandpa always said, "The value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it". In your situation it is probably worth it, because the dealer knows that someone, like you, is out there. It just so happens that you are the guy willing to pay the most. Nothing wrong with that.

There are two jerseys floating around, that I didn't pull the trigger on quick enough. Despite all of the other awesome stuff I've been able to get, those still haunt me. If it is something you love, snap it up!!!
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

i think if your lucky enough to get a chance at your "holy grail" as long as you can afford it and will really treasure it and maybe even pass it down. what does it matter. 400 buck's over a period of time will seem very small. why would even worry about the resale value of it, unless maybe it's not such a "holy grail" ? i kick my self every day for passing on or not having the money for item's i missed out on. that really blow's, then again i also have thing's i would never resale that i bought and don't really consider to be mine as they were meant to be passed down to my daughter, just so she will alway's remember what i liked and what i wanted her to have from me. none of these are even close to my "holy grail" if i ever get the chance and all that stand's between me and my "holy grail" is 400. it's just 400! i'd pay that just for the chance! not that i'm saying i like to over spend for item's. i ask how often do you get a chance to actually own your holy grail? just my opion.

if you know your holy grail may also be someone elses holy grail, then i don't hesitate and buy it. if no one else would dare to buy at the sellers price then be patient and offer a little over market value. no sense in overpaying. if the seller still has it in 6 months, then offer a little less. to me a holy grail is something that not only i would think is a holy grail so second option would not apply. there must be something in your collection that someone wants beside you. that would be the holy grail.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I have definitely overpaid before on hard to find items - and would do it again if I had to. There are several items I have missed out on in the past that I thought went for more than their "value" - the problem is their "value" was much more to me than I originally realized, and now I wished I had bid higher to get them.
    -Mike

Always looking for Notre Dame memorabilia
    Private messages ARE enabled