Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

the value of a Lampson letter

I guess the people on this forum aren't the only ones that know how enept Lampson is...here is a Randy Moss "Game-Used" helmet with a Lampson letter...THIS GEM WON'T EVEN GET A $700 BID AND IT'S BEEN LISTED NUMEROUS TIMES!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RANDY-MOSS-GAME-...QQcmdZViewItem

Re: the value of a Lampson letter

10 photos and no picture of the back of the helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by lund6771 View Post
    I guess the people on this forum aren't the only ones that know how enept Lampson is...here is a Randy Moss "Game-Used" helmet with a Lampson letter...THIS GEM WON'T EVEN GET A $700 BID AND IT'S BEEN LISTED NUMEROUS TIMES!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RANDY-MOSS-GAME-...QQcmdZViewItem
    the loa states that the helmet is from the 1999 season (1999-200) - most randy moss fans probably know that moss didn't wear side facemask shock clips in 1999 nor was the high side of his chinstrap a snap-on as shown in the ad... he wore transparent, dual side facemask clips and the high side of his chinstrap was screwed in place in 1999. further, i can't help but wonder if this is exactly why the seller provided a blurry pic of the loa and a cropped photo of vintage authentic's item description - in both cases the helmet date is either hard to make out or (intentionally?) not included. and, of course, the seller makes no mention of the date in his item description....

I own a Moss 2001 helmet. It came from the Upper Deck Redemption program. I have photo matched it on several photos. I also own a Culpepper from the same UD program. Robert is right on the shockblockers and the securing of the upper chinstrap strap. In addition, I question the Dymo tape on the inside of the helmet. On both of my 2001's it is a printed name - black on white, rather than the embossed type like on this sample. I know they used the printed in 2000 as well, but I am unsure on the 1999.

He is correct that there are not many Moss helmets out there. I wouldn't take 700.00 for mine. Then again, I wouldn't pay 700.00 for his...

Another telling sign...

My Moss helmet is an XL shell. If you look at photos of Moss, he has that oblong XL shell helmet. This helmet for sale is a large shell. You can tell by the shape of the helmet and the size of the earhole.

Show us some photos Robert...please.

There are several other things that are wrong with this helmet as well. It is a new style Schutt mask - where it mounts to the sides of the helmet. Moss in 1998, 99, and on into 2001 wore the older style with the seperate side mounting bars. In addition, the coating on the mask appears to be the thicker Armor Guard coating instead of the poly-vinyl or "Vinyl Guard" thinner coating that Moss wore.

So, in a nutshell...
    Wrong mask,
    Wrong Shell,
    Wrong facemask clips,
    Wrong identifiers,
    Wrong chinstrap mounts,

The only correct thing is the chinstrap. Wait, there isn't one...

Guys, if you are not willing to fly out to the National on a day's notice on the chance that you may see Lampson at AMI's booth, then please do not place posts such as this one....

Guys, if you are not willing to fly out to the National on a day's notice on the chance that you may see Lampson at AMI's booth, then please do not place posts such as this one....
    IMF is callin' out the Noels.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    funny stuff!

vintage authentics, as a result of dumb luck or experience, doesn't offer complete access to their auction archives through their website - you can only look up brief item descriptions and their selling prices, no photos. ami, heritage, leylands, hunt and others would do themselves a service if they followed suit!

i can only imagine what other authentic helmet "gems" va has moved over the years - if anyone here has va's past catalogs and the time to post photos, it might make for an educational, interesting and revealing topic. below is a shot from the "moss" ebay ad with what i assume to be va's catalog in the background...

helmets - moss does indeed wear an xl lid although i have some photos in which he appears to also be wearing a large. is your culpepper lid an xl? speaking of xl lids, i own a schutt double xl lid - not sure if any of you guys have ever seen these enormously large buckets but, let me tell you, it's very hard to imagine a head roaming god's earth that would come close to filling it out!

The Culpepper that I have is a large.

I too have some Moss photos with a large, but if I recall they are from 2002 when they went to the metallic shell.

Yes, I don't think ol' Lou knows about the seperate side bar on the mask. I have seen many helmets that have the LOA in the auction houses that have a modern mask. One that I can think of off the top of my head went a year or two ago. A Faulk helmet from the Colts.