Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

GUU The Newest Authentication Service On The Block?

are auction houses and "third party authenticators" now looking to the guu forum for help with their authentication needs? have they discovered a zero-fee resource that is proving to be much more reliable than what they've had to pay for in the past? is guu the new "mears" on the block, but free?

a couple of weeks ago i outed the following "hacksaw reynolds" helmet, along with a few other lids, in response to blog comments that suggested guu forum members tend to overreact to the mistakes auction houses and authenticators make. the reason for my post was to show that guu members, among the most knowledgeable collectors around, have very good reason to criticize and air their frustrations.

in the post i picked one obvious problem with each helmet that i listed - as for the "reynolds" helmet, i pointed out that the lid was fitted with a blue facemask which the rams didn't use until after he had left the team - yet no mention of this was made in the ad. here's the link:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=15127

anyway, american memorabilia has listed the "hacksaw reynolds" helmet again - but this time around it seems that ami may have benefited from my post. the new item description has been overhauled in an attempt to explain what was overlooked and/or not mentioned the first time around.

original item description, 03/24/2005 (sold for $1,700++)
    - note the red box. mention was made of the blue facemask, "rams" bumper decal and "intact and original" warning decal.

overhauled description, current auction - again, note the red box. facemask, bumper decal and warning label are now "trimmings" that were added later. explanation? according to the rewrite, this suspension relic was presumably recycled and readied for the following year's camp - recycled and readied for another player joining the rams given that jack had long since departed. hmmm.. i guess that explains why a "reynolds" dymo tape would still be stuck to the inside of the lid. just in case the incoming player wanted to pretend to be hacksaw. makes sense. good grief.

ppppppp

Re: GUU The Newest Authentication Service On The Block?

So they ban people for their association with this site, but they're more than happy to use the information to help sell their products.
    Classy!
    Aeneas- nice work, if before it was 100% Authentic, you made that helmet 1000% Authentic!
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Banned

You know, I respect that they tried to address the issues but really have to wonder with all those differences how they then can attribute it to Reynolds at all? And curious where the recycled camp story came from as well, sort of suspect the creative writers that do their catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    You know, I respect that they tried to address the issues but really have to wonder with all those differences how they then can attribute it to Reynolds at all? And curious where the recycled camp story came from as well, sort of suspect the creative writers that do their catalogue.
    Mvandor...some might call it creativity...I call it morally & ethically dispicable what auction houses like AMI do...I put them, morally, at the same level with the terd that a bird left on my pick-up this morning

Quote Originally Posted by lund6771 View Post
    ...I put them, morally, at the same level with the terd that a bird left on my pick-up this morning
    I can honestly say that's first time in my life that I have ever heard any reference to the morality of a terd.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Notice post #9 from this thread:
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...hlight=alworth

Could just be a coincidence, but Lampson may have used my research. I still urge Mr. Lampson to join this forum and ask questions of its members. He may have caught details that I, or other members of this forum, missed.

I'm confused. I have always been told (by two auction houses) that Mr. Lampson doesn't use email, computers, the internet etc.

If that's true, then he's missing out on a lot of research material. So it can't be true, can it?

Anyone know first hand?
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    ... but really have to wonder with all those differences how they then can attribute it to Reynolds at all? And curious where the recycled camp story came from as well, sort of suspect the creative writers that do their catalogue.
    exactly...

the first time around the decals were "intact and original" - the second time around they are "trimmings" later added. yet we're supposed to believe that the "reynolds" dymo tape, the item connecting this lid to hacksaw, is original? and, p.s., the "camp" story is utterly ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I'm confused. I have always been told (by two auction houses) that Mr. Lampson doesn't use email, computers, the internet etc.

If that's true, then he's missing out on a lot of research material. So it can't be true, can it?
    of course it's true. lampson claims to have an "astounding" 8000 photos. how do you suppose he carries around 8000 photos? assuming he carries 8x10s (or larger) and that each one would weigh approx .20 oz, that's roughly 80lbs. don't you always carry around an 80lb briefcase with 8000 photos inside? i know i do. these biceps of mine don't build themselves!

no computers, no internet. just books and hard copies of photos. the thing that has me really puzzled though is how he prints off so many loas. his website has 10 loas per page and 580 pages for a total of 5800 loas. that's a whole lot of typewriter ribbon! or maybe he's got his own printing press? all that typesetting must be madness for the poor guy.

rudy.

Your L.L. LOA photo w/ captions just gave me the laugh that I needed to get me through the rest of the day. Thank you and keep them coming!