Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Got to meet David Ortiz this weekend!

Late Friday night I got an email from Signings Hotline about a show outside of Boston on Sunday. David Ortiz, Mike Lowell, Jim Rice, Fred Lynn, Dwight Evans, Bill Lee and Dick Williams were all to be there. My awesome wife knew how badly I wanted to go, so she gave me her blessing and sent me on my way. I had to drive almost 6 hours and I was sick with a cold, but still had a blast. I was able to get my David Ortiz game used bat signed, which is something I thought I would never be able to do. I know some don't like their game used items signed, but I think this looks great.

PMI was there with some incredible Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell game used items. I chatted with the guy (owner?) a bit, real nice guy. And I mentioned this forum to everyone I talked to.

I don't know if I was the only forum member there or not, but I would like to hear from anyone else who was at the Sure Shot Promotions signing in Brockton, MA. this weekend. Here are a couple of pics of Papi and my newly signed bat. Thanks for reading.

Re: Got to meet David Ortiz this weekend!

I had heard about it but didn't want to pay the $ for Ortiz or Lowell. I know the show was planned months ago but it doesn't make Ortiz look good when he's at a signing for a couple hours during the day but needs a game off that night to clear his head.
    kelly

Congratulations on meeting some of your favorites and getting your bat signed. It looks great!
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Nice bat with a great looking Ortiz signature. Do you mind if I ask what Ortiz or Lowell charged and could you have paid for an inscription, like "Big Papi" or "game used"?

One thing about Ortiz is that he puts his fans first, he committed to the signing probably weeks in advance and yes he's in a bit of a slump, but it's great to see that he will still come out and sign, irregardless if he got the night off from a game.

Bobby

Very nice bat and it looks nice signed. That's really awesome for you, especially since you yourself said you had a good time (despite being sick). That's what makes it worth the price of admission. Furthermore, it looks like you got some great pictures to remember the day. Congrats!

Thanks for the comments guys. It was a great time despite my being sick. And there were a lot of very friendly people there to pass the time talking with while waiting for my number to be called. This was my first trip to a show like this, we just don't have anything like this up here in Maine.

Gameused, Mike Lowell was $99 flats and balls, $149 premium items and $35 inscriptions. Papi was $149 flats and balls, $199 premium items and $75 inscriptions. I thought about getting an inscription, but I had already spent about $400 on the trip and I am also trying to save for Fanfest in NY this July. I was just thrilled at the chance to get my bat signed.

Ted,
    For what it's worth, I like my bats signed and I think it looks sweet on yours. Getting it in person makes it even better. Good for you and congrats on a great memory.

Scott

Did he say anything about the bat?

Banned

TEDW9 I was there too at the same time. I got a chance to meet with Papi and Lowell both were nice especially Lowell super cool to talk too.

Lowell signed and Ortiz signed for me.

I have Lowells Rookie Game Used Yankees Jersey he even said let me see if this is mine, looked at it up and down, looked at the number on the back, looked at the size tags and said Yep this is definitely mine.

I was happy!!!

TFig27, when I handed over the bat, he said something along the lines of, "Wow, that got some hits!" A few of the other bats I saw there looked like they were right out of the rack. One gentelman showed me his g/u bat that had been authenticated and it looked hardly used. Only one other bat had ball marks on it that I saw.

suave1477, I wished I had the chance to meet you to at least say hello. I probably walked by you while waiting to be called. I had number 155, so I had to wait awhile. I spent a good hour out by the front door sitting in one of the chairs waiting for the signings to start.

I agree that Papi was friendly to everyone. I didn't get to see Mike Lowell, I kinda wish I had the chance. Nice score on the jersey! It does not get any better than having the player tell you that the item was theirs. That's awesome, that alone was worth what you paid that day.

Did you see Mike Lowell's "twin" walking around there? I had to do a double take when he walked by!