Mark,

Let's ignore the lettering and numbering on the back for a minute and start by simply trying to date the jersey itself. (The name and number on the back may just convolute this process because they may very well have been added after the fact by someone other than the A's).

The Rawlings tag on the jersey is from 1973-1984. Throughout most of this time period, McAuliffe was the manufacturer for Oakland's jerseys. Rawlings came in some time during the early 80's.

My first guess: Could this be a 1983-84 BP jersey? Page 90 of Bill Henderson's guide, the 2nd variation. The thing is, I'm unsure if Rawlings made these jerseys and I'm also unsure if the material for these jerseys (mesh?) is the same as the jersey in your photos.

Second guess: a 1986-92 BP jersey. Page 103 of Henderson's guide. With a circa 1973-84 Rawlings tag "sewn after the fact"?

Third guess: If the early 80's BP jerseys were not made by Rawlings, then perhaps this is an early 80's salesman sample/prototype submitted by Rawlings in hopes of scoring a contract to provide the BP jerseys?

Rudy.