Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Changes at MEARS

Dave Bushing posted yesterday on MEARS forum. Things can't be very good if one of your main authenticators quits authenticating.

"Well, After authenticating as well as buying and selling game used memorabilia full time since 1991 with quite a few books, chapters to books, articles , etc I've finally had enough with regards to the authentication aspects of this hobby. As those who acutally know me and have a real name and face to go with their alias, I have always been more than willing to help free of charge anyone who stopped to ask and have written more articles on collecting game used items than probably anyone in the history of this hobby as well as having co-invented/written the very worksheets now used by us and others, the first company to ever do so. In additiion, we published all of the unable to authenticate items for all to see so they would not make it back into the hobby, ever. And it is of no consequence that you can get 8000 items right but if you make a single error, regardles of how trivial and regardless that you will offer to buy back any mistake, no matter what it is, it never seems to be enough for the self proclaimed so called authorities who wait at the computer for an auction catalog to come out merely for the purpose to rip it to shreads to show the world how much they know and how little others do. This behavior is no longer tolerable to me. I do not wish to be a third party authenticator from this day on and will not sign nor look at any piece until such time that MEARS no longer does any research of any kind for anyone except for items in which we sell, much like Lelands does for their own merchandise, all with a money back guarentee. Dave Grob, Troy Kinunen and our able staff can and will continue to do the quality work that everyone expects and I will concentrate soley on the for sale sight and will not grade nor authenticate my purchases and will leave that to the staff. I will continue to write as well as I acually enjoy that along with selling and going to shows. When something is no longer a joy and the pundits far out number the frienly's, time to let someone else do it."

Banned

Re: Trouble at MEARS

Sounds as though he was under some heat or criticism for a mistake or two and got thin skinned about it.

But it's not good for Mears to lose the active participation of such a respected authenticator.

Mr. Bushing has responded to this thread...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/42624...2528/More+info

"In a response to is there trouble at MEARS. The trouble is not MEARS, we have a capable staff that is going to do the authenticiy work. The problem is me. I am just plain tired of putting out hudreds of evaluations only to be lambasted continuously by people who are more mysterious than Lou Lampson, people who have no real name or face, cynical self appointed so called experts that never comment on anything good anywhere but spend their time hiding from the public behind some handle and critising everybody else. Since I no longer am an independent third party authenticator, I can buy and sell like everyone else. I will no longer even grade or authenticate my own merchandise, rather leave that to the staff. I am sure there will be people that will find a conspiracy in that as well but I think Dave Grob and Troys reputations will weather such tripe. When and if MEARS completely abandons any third party authenticity work and becomes simply an organization that puts forth the best documented product for sale with a 100% money back guarentee and the most informitive artilces in the hobby with the greatest depth of research material ever gathered in this field, then I will authenticate my own merchandise just like every dealer in the country. We will then become simply a safe place to buy memorabilia as I am sure there will be any number of bloggers that will gladly step up and start authenticating Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig jerseys and take on the full financial reponsibility that goes with such a highly paid and publically rewarding job. Base point, no more conflict of interest, I am simply interested in buying and selling and making a profit. David Bushing"
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Banned

Good for you Dave.

You have helped this business/hobby beyond words, and I for one "Thank you!"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now if some of these so called autograph authentication companies would give it up too.............

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    Good for you Dave.

You have helped this business/hobby beyond words, and I for one "Thank you!"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now if some of these so called autograph authentication companies would give it up too.............

Are you implying that BAD AUTOGRAPH AUTHENTICATION COMPANIES should give it up...subsequently meaning Dave was a BAD authenticator?

Banned

I think its funny he mentioned Lou Lampson lol lol

Banned

Well, he certainly sounds frustrated. Also sounds like there are differences of opinion internally as to what MEARS should be. I don't doubt buying and selling is easier and more profitable than authenticating responsibly, perhaps money is an issue as well.

Great intergrity. I respect that decision.

Banned

I think going into authenticating is like going into coaching or refereeing. It's a no win situation. Some will like your decisions and some won't. You can't go into certain professions assuming everyone will love your work. It just doesn't happen in these fields.
    Greg

I respect his decision...

but "more mysterious than Lou Lampson" ?

is that even possible?