Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chemical Reaction

Friends,

I was just taking out a Black Hoosier bat of Joey Cora ,out of the bat tube and the bat was stuck in the tube. When the bat finally did come out, all the rubber from the end cap had MELTED on the bats end of barrell.

Be carefull gang, as this has never happened to me in 30 years of collecting.
    Dennis

Re: Chemical Reaction

It took me a while, but I finally stopped leaning those bat tubes against painted walls. They always remove the paint where the black cap is in contact with the wall.

Needless to say. all my bats have been removed from the tuibes. Thank god, it didnt happen to my Winfield or Pudge bats. Whew!

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by BULBUS View Post
    It took me a while, but I finally stopped leaning those bat tubes against painted walls. They always remove the paint where the black cap is in contact with the wall.

Haha. I have strategically placed frames where "tube marks" were left after leaning them against walls. I only have 2 of them , but they have caused mucho damage to my Man Cave.

This thread is going to save some new collectors a big hassle. They should be outlawed.

Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've never liked the tubes with the rubber end caps. Mostly because they are a pain to remove from the tube. I use the kind with the plastic end caps and have never had any issues.

Was the tube that melted on your bat in a warm/hot area?

Jason
    stlbats@bellsouth.net

Quote Originally Posted by Calrima View Post
    Friends,

I was just taking out a Black Hoosier bat of Joey Cora ,out of the bat tube and the bat was stuck in the tube. When the bat finally did come out, all the rubber from the end cap had MELTED on the bats end of barrell.

Dennis
    This just happened to my Albert Belle bat.

Is this only happening to bat tubes with the black rubber cap on it?
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

When I was a newbee collector, I put a couple of bats that I'd just gotten signed, in plastic tubes, in the trunk of my car, and left them there for a couple of hours. I live in Arizona, and it was Summer - not the best plan. The bats were unharmed, but I had to cut the tubes off of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Calrima View Post
    Friends,

Dennis
    Good thread!
    The Rubber ended Tubes are slightly larger in diameter, allowing for larger barrelled Bats. I have a `84 Gwynn Rawlings that I had taped the rubber end shut, while the Bat was in Storage. The Tape softened up & got gooey, almost getting on the Bat. I use small Plastic Grocery bags on the bottom of the Tubes, allows a bit of padding, it also pads the PSA/DNA Stickers on the bottom of the Barrel. I don`t really like them, but for storage, or transport I use them.
    Sean