Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Friends you've made through collecting?

The guy who made friends with Dave Kingman inspired me to write this.

Former SF Giant Tito Fuentes came to our town to sign autographs and raise money for a school baseball field. He came for virtually nothing. I volunteered to drive him around. We've become great friends. We frequently talk by phone and I have visited with him as be broadcasts the games in Spanish. I fetch him water while he broadcasts. And by the way, he signed something for me.

What special baseball person have you come to know because of your collecting? I'll bet there are some great stories out there. Let's hear yours.

Re: Friends you've made through collecting?

i have known vera clemente and the boys for 15 years now. very pleasent family. anytime i visit puerto rico, i spend time with here at sports city. have been to here home for dinner too! i was like a kid in a candy store when i saw roberto's 72 road uniform, along with his all star awards and world series rings.
    i've known manny sanguillen for over 10 years. met him and his daughter in the allegeny club at three rivers. very pleasent; still is. we stay in touch alot. when he comes to florida for fantasy camp and spring training, we get together.
    jackie hernandez, same thing. he lives in miami, so we see each other more frequently. he is a trip. we have lunch, talk, fellowship.

A few years back I was on my way home from work when I found former Milwaukee Braves/New York Mets pitcher Carlton Willey stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire. I stopped and asked if he needed help and he said he wasn't even sure where to begin. I changed his tire for him in a short time (I used to change tires for a living in my youth) and when I was done he offered to pay me, which I politely declined. He mentioned my Red Sox hat I was wearing and asked me if I would like to come by his house to talk baseball with him sometime. Listen to someone talk about being a teammate with Hank Aaron, Warren Spahn and such? Needless to say, I couldn't accept the invitation fast enough.

The next weekend I went to visit Carlton at his house, and I was armed with a ton of questions. It was SO much fun just listening to him talk about his playing days, pitching in the World Series and such. It was just an amazing afternoon. He offered my wife and I to come back anytime, which we have many times. Now when we stop by, we are treated like family. To this day Carlton still says if I hadn't stopped to help him that day, he would still be there.

One last note to this story...Carltons house is the gathering place for all the local "older" gentlemen. Coffee and bs are the standard offering, door always open, just come on in and sit down and help yourself to a cup of coffee. Well, as a joke, one of his friends hug a sign up outside the front door, "Ridge Road Old Mens Club." Well, Carlton loved it and left it there, cause it is so true. One Sunday afternoon I was sitting around with him and his friends (I am in my 30's, him and his friends are in their 70's) and Carlton looks at me and says, "Well Steve, I do belive your the youngest member of the Ridge Road Old Mens Club!" It is a title I wear proudly.

Wink Re: Friends you've made through collecting?

Quote Originally Posted by EurekaDave View Post
    The guy who made friends with Dave Kingman inspired me to write this.

Former SF Giant Tito Fuentes came to our town to sign autographs and raise money for a school baseball field. He came for virtually nothing. I volunteered to drive him around. We've become great friends. We frequently talk by phone and I have visited with him as be broadcasts the games in Spanish. I fetch him water while he broadcasts. And by the way, he signed something for me.

What special baseball person have you come to know because of your collecting? I'll bet there are some great stories out there. Let's hear yours.
    I appreciate my Kingman friendship was an inspiration!!! Hey, it's always cool to be considered a friend rather than a stalker!!! I think the fact I am married with 2 small kids helps!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I could take the meaning of this thread a whole different way in that it is asking about hobby friendships. In the 30 years I have been involved in this hobby, I have made countless friendships that last thru this day back from the 80's with longtime Kong associate Erik Bakalar and Jim Monteverde on up to the Howard Wolf's of the world and of later years the Roger Ward's and Carl Hick's and Rob Steinmetz'. Honestly too many to list, but most whether back from the 80's or guys I have met in the last 5 years I speak to many on a daily basis. That is what a hobby is about, friendships and doing something that keeps one's mind off of the daily challenges we all face... Thanks - RK

Most of them have been made right here at GUU -

They include...Joe, Donny, Don, Jeff, Bill, Billy, Jolan, Tom, Paul, Dave, Abe and Mark.

There is also that Yankees guy...Jason, with his Strawberry infatuation

Thanks guys for being great friends, and valuable collecting resources.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also here on the Forum.I have met and dealt with a few on here.I also talk with one person on here on a regular basis.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    Most of them have been made right here at GUU -

They include...Joe, Donny, Don, Jeff, Bill, Billy, Jolan, Tom, Paul, Dave, Abe and Mark.

There is also that Yankees guy...Jason, with his Strawberry infatuation

Thanks guys for being great friends, and valuable collecting resources.
    BigTruck awwww thanks lol lol well at least you didn't call it an obsession lol lol

Well with that being said I have become friends with Strawberry and his people (agents) over time and everytime we see each other he susually gives me a hand shake and hug hello.
    He even inrtoduced me to his son who is an NBA Player and told him "see you should have went into Baseball" lol lol

Banned

Also TNTToys we met through here

Thanks for all your great responses. That's why I like this hobby and, of course, why I love baseball. Thanks to all of you.

Dave Silverbrand

Banned

OOOoops Momen, I met through here too we went to a Baseball game and lunch in Florida