Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: This is a classic helmet

IMO I don't think I was "hard" on him until after his comments and shifting of the blame or spotlight.

If you read the majority of all questionable "game used" helmet descriptions, that dealers create using an old high school helmet; the majority of them state that they are selling it for someone else, they obtained it from an NFL source or another collector of game used helmets, they "don't know the history", etc. When I read 34swtns describtion, it seemed like the old classic, "...I'm trying to sell this as game used, but if I am called on it, then I have something to fall back on." The description was similar to how our friend "lambeauleeper" has sold every helmet that he has created as "Dan Marino Team Issued" or "Brett Favre Rookie Team Issued Helmet." If you have read any of his descriptions, he states he does not know the history, and puts some clauses in the description as an out in case the buyer finds out differently and wants a refund. This entire listing read very similar.

Again, I did contact you through ebay. If you are such a Bear expert, helmet or not, you should see it immediately. One does not need to be a "helmet expert" to see that this helmet "is a classic." I don't know jerseys, and I am a Packers fan. I know what the Packers wear for jerseys and can spot a fake pretty quickly, just by being a fan of the team and watching the games, and knowing details of game used items. If you are that big of a Bears fan, I would think from watching all of the games, that you would at least have a clue about their helmets. If not, I would think that you could of gone on the internet and searched photos of their helmets and tried to at least match it up.

I do give you credit for changing the description, and if you did indeed believe that the helmet was game worn by Shane Matthews when you "bought it" it and tried to resell it, then I apologize.

Banned

I think this comes down to the fact that we expect more of each other here amongst ourselves. Both in our dealings with sellers and and in the way we sell our items.

Well said, mvandor.

As for the degree to which I'm a Bears fan, I can only say that you could buy a modest 2-bedroom home for the same amount of money I've spent on Bears game jerseys and I can spot a fake from a mile away.

Still don't know squat about helmets.

Rest assured that I would never knowingly burn a fellow collector simply because somebody put one over on me, hence the solicitation for input in the auction listing.

When I originally purchased the helmet I did do a preliminary search of the internet and found that Matthews, for the most part, wore a 2-bar facemask. However, I easily found a couple of pics from the early 1990's of Shane with a similar 3-bar facemask to the one on my helmet.

That, coupled with my knowledge of the seller was good enough for me.
    Live and learn, right?