Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a classic helmet

http://cgi.ebay.com/Game-Worn-1990s-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a classic. Wrong color, wrong side decals, wrong decal placement on the rear, wrong jawpads, and finally...look at how the side clips are mounted on the mask.

Shane Matthews? Sure thing.

Re: This is a classic helmet

I'm not a Bears fan... but when did they switch colors to a bright royal blue???

Nice helmet... wonder which one of his kids wore it for peewee football
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

And I'd like to thank you for adhering to the rules and contacting me and waiting for my reply before you posted your issues on the forum, (you didn't). Nice going. Thanks buddy. The helmet has only been posted for about 12 hours and I just saw your ebay message come through so you didn't bother to wait for my reply before you jumped at the opportunity to show everyone what a crook I am and how incredibly intelligent you are. Not cool.

As I said in my reply to your ebay message that I received at about the same time I saw this posting, I'm a veteran Bears jersey collector. Helmets are not my thing.....at all. The helmet was purchased a couple of years ago from another long-time Bears collector who I had no reason to believe would steer me wrong as I had bought several game used items from him previously. I still don't believe he purposefully mislead me......helmets aren't his thing, either, but I will certainly make him aware of the possibility that we both may have been duped.

That being said, I'm going to ask you to point out the discrepencies in the helmet, (just like I asked for in my reply to your ebay message). Just point 'em out and I'll gladly amend the description, (as I also stated in my reply to you).

Like I said before, you should've waited for my reply before you jumped on the opportunity to bust somebody's balls. Again.....not cool.

By the way, the color difference you mentioned is most likely caused by my use of a very bright, very close flash. The helmet is actually quite a bit darker than it appears in the photos.

Never mind getting back to me.
    I went to the top of the mountain to speak with the wise one.....our good friend, Robert. He's got the right combination of wisdom and class. I should've spoken to him in the first place before I even posted the helmet for sale but as I said before, I had no reason to doubt it.
    You can bet it won't happen again.

I sent an email through ebay, just as the forum rules state. I am not busting your balls, just pointing out that the helmet is inconsistant in every way from a game used helmet. As I have been on a plane for the last three hours, I did not get a chance to reply until now.

The Bears until recently have used a molded plastic or as many call it, impregnated navy blue. You state that the helmet is from the 90's, yet it is a white or gray helmet painted. The color is wrong. The color should be a dark navy blue. The rear bumper is from a recent VSR4 helmet, not one from the mid 90's. In addition, Riddell stopped putting the acoustic foam in the VSR4 helmets within the last 3 years, due to its ability to retain heat. That and the fact that it did not do anything acoustically for the person wearing it.

The Bears side decals do not have a clear boarder. The decals on this helmet are offered by an Illinois decal company. They are sold to people for the hard-hats that you see sold at construction tools dealers. Many collectors/dealers use these decals on football helmets that are made up, and are incorrect. The decals are too small and too round.

The decal placement on the rear is incorrect for the Bears. The side clips are not installed correctly. The NFL does not allow black jawpads any longer per their uniform guidelines, however, they may be ok if the helmet was from the mid 90's, but it is not.

Yes, shift the blame on someone that calls out the helmet, rather than verify that it is indeed a game used NFL helmet. Being a member of GUU, I would think that you would know better, and would verify before attempting to sell the helmet on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by helmets View Post
    I sent an email through ebay, just as the forum rules state.
    You're missing the point, genius.
    You WAIT for my reply, give me the chance to correct any mistakes in the listing, and THEN bust balls if I don't reply or simply refute your points. That's how it works.

Take another look at Chris Cavalier's thread at the beginning of this forum.

IMHO, I tend to think that if the seller is self admittedly "not a helmet guy" and the guy he bought it from is "not a helmet guy" either, being a regular member of this forum and with all the FREE/EXPERT advice available on this forum (the information provided on this site from Aneas, etc. within the past month or so is NOTHING short of unbelievable) at anyones fingertips beforehand, that one would have sought it prior to listing a football helmet as "Game Used" on eBay.

Since you all are being pretty hard on 34swtns, I would like to note the following:
    1. he had the backbone to openly respond to and address his mistake
    2. he amended his ebay auction accordingly, unlike 98% of the rest of ebay who would have just proceeded to sell the item as game used regardless of information gained

So give him some credit - honestly, what purpose does continuing to give him a hard time accomplish?

helmets, your second post about the specifics of Bears helmets was very interesting and informative - that's the type of stuff worth reading and was much appreciated
    -Mike

Always looking for Notre Dame memorabilia
    Private messages ARE enabled

Thanks for the comments, beavis.
    From the original auction description:

Certainly, there are many of you more qualified to determine the origin of the helmet than I am and I welcome your comments and suggestions regarding it.

Not once in that statement did I make a suggestion like,

"If you think this would be a great opportunity to make yourself look like a really smart fellow to others, rather than communicate directly with me about any concerns first, please feel free to blast me in the very forum of which I am a long-time member. That's right, go ahead and promote yourself at my expense. 'Cause that would be so classy."

"No class-y" is the better adjective.
    Quite simply, "helmets" could've taken the high road. He chose not to.