Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Edmonds cut by Padres....

Probably the end to an excellent career. Wish he could have gone out a Cardinal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Edmonds cut by Padres....

For all intensive purposes he did.....Maybe the Cards will invite him back to mentor some of the "young" guys.....

Sad to hear. He was one of my favorite Angel players. I won't be surprised if he ends up helping the Angels organization since he lives 20 minutes from the Big A.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

I`m in San Diego & I didn`t even get to see him play (live) I read about it on C-List, but I would tend to believe you guys first, wow! The Pads need all the help they can get. All the best to Jim, he`s been a great Outfielder,
    Sean

Orioles should make a run at him.

I know I will be in the minority on this one but to me...he was the premeir fielding centerfielding outfielder of his time - at or above Griffey and Andrew Jones. Truly an incredibly underated player who put forth a great career and a blast to watch go get the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    Orioles should make a run at him.
    I think that is exactly the opposite of what they should be doing. Here's a link to the Orioles Hangout discussion on this topic.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/foru...ad.php?t=63275

Mark
    bigtime39@aol.com

I know that he played at the Phillies/Padres game on April 30th because I was there and did not realize that he was still playing. I probably saw one of the last games that he may ever play in.

Chris

I agree that Edmonds was top-notch in his day. Unfortunately, the fans in San Diego this year only had the pleasure of watching him almost get to balls hit to center.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

His career offensive numbers are not enough to get him into the Hall of Fame...but his defense might give him some cred. down the road. If you put together all of his spectacular plays, you would have enough footage for a feature film.

Edmonds will be remembered in STL for his stellar defense, his uppercut swing that was devastating in his prime...his penchant to look terrible when he struck out (something he had in common with Willie McGee)...and his dramatic acting on inside pitches.

Jimmy played a very shallow center, which is why he made so many over the shoulder catches. 60% of his diving plays probably did not require a dive...but in that respect, he was a performer. He was entertaining to watch when good, and putrid when he was slumping.

All in all, he was one of the best all around center fielders I have seen in my 32 years of life. In his era, only a few guys were contemporaries...Griffey being better, and Andrew Jones and Tori Hunter just after him.

No doubt he will be coaching someday - and I think Cards fans would love to see him in the dugout at some point.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]