Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any GUU Auction Surprises?

I think I was a bit surprised at the soft prices for the common 1980's baseball jerseys.

I also think $195 for the Mike Goff '69 Seattle Pilots TBTC uniform was money well spent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Re: Any GUU Auction Surprises?

From a financial standpoint, I was surprised at how low the totals in the auction were as a whole. I think the total was approximately $150,000 in sold merchandise for 6 months worth of time spent putting it together. That translates to approx. $37,000 in gross profit, minus cost associated in putting the auction together, advertising etc puts the net profit lower. Great for buyers not so great for consigners....

Dave

Dave, the overall number has nothing to do with cosignors. I think GUU had less items than most auctions, probably because they have higher standards regarding items they accept. Personally, I thought they got some good numbers on quite a few items wich is what relates to consinors. Overall for their second auction I was very impressed with the quality of merchandise and think it shows that GUU will be a major player in the future.

By the way, since you said it was so good for buyers, given that you constantly buy to re-sell to try to make a profit, what items did you win in the GUU's auction to re-sell?

Todd

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yankees159 View Post
    Dave, the overall number has nothing to do with cosignors. I think GUU had less items than most auctions, probably because they have higher standards regarding items they accept. Personally, I thought they got some good numbers on quite a few items wich is what relates to consinors. Overall for their second auction I was very impressed with the quality of merchandise and think it shows that GUU will be a major player in the future.

By the way, since you said it was so good for buyers, given that you constantly buy to re-sell to try to make a profit, what items did you win in the GUU's auction to re-sell?

Todd
    Very good question for the friend of the established auction houses. Dave?

I didn't buy anything in the auction. I was the underbider on a few pieces

I also thought the GUU prices were a little light compared to last time. This was most evident in the commons or non star jerseys. The star stuff did about as good as it should. I believe the economy is going to take a bite out of common collectibles in the foreseeable future.

The one surprising thing I noticed was the Tommy John Angles jersey in the GUU auction only sold for $417 including premium while the exact same jersey from the Grey Flannel auction sold for $1154. I know timing in an auction can drive prices for one item and screw another item, but I thought this was a big difference. Any thoughts?

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/L...px?lotid=18123

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/auction/lot.php?id=642#

Mike

Banned

Karamax I don't think timing played a part in this one.

I just think at the present time Grey Flannel is a lot more well known as far as auctions then GUU and has a tremendous amount of more bidders. So you would expect items to sell more on Grey Flannel they been around longer.

Hey Suave,
    Thanks for your reply and I know where you're coming from, but I dont think I agree on this one.

This site has grown so fast that ANY game used jersey collector should be aware of this auction just as they are about Grey Flannel, Mastro, Lelands, REA or any other major player. You're saying that a percentage of the Grey Flannel or other auction house bidders are overlooking this auction because they just don't know GUU is here? Maybe you're right, but I just don't buy it. If I was the guy who bought the John jersey in the Grey Flannel auction, I'd have to consider myself a fool for not seeing what else is available. I actually think the GUU John is better than the GF John. If that happened to a Mattingly jersey, this forum would be up in arms.

I know I eagerly await auctions to show up on websites and would never miss an opporunity to grab a great White Sox jersey. I'm pretty sure you're no different. I guess money is not an issue for some collectors, but those big differences in prices just don't make sense.

Mike

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Karamax I don't think timing played a part in this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post

I just think at the present time Grey Flannel is a lot more well known as far as auctions then GUU and has a tremendous amount of more bidders. So you would expect items to sell more on Grey Flannel they been around longer.
    While Grey Flannel being around longer is certainly true and one might expect them to have more bidders, I’m not sure the statement that you can always expect items to go for more with them is correct. Here are a couple of examples of where I think GUU Auction did better on comparable items (w/buyer’s premium):

Grey Flannel McFadden: 2,664

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=17840

Game Used Universe McFadden: 4,802

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/auction/lot.php?id=621

Grey Flannel Peterson: 3.691

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=17942

Game Used Universe Peterson: 5,423

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/auction/lot.php?id=613

Although different years, Grey Flannel Clemens jersey: 1,538

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=18079

Game Used Universe Clemens jersey (w/ pants): 5,811

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/auction/lot.php?id=620

I think it there are a number of factors that can affect the prices of individual items.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    Hey Suave,
    Thanks for your reply and I know where you're coming from, but I dont think I agree on this one.

This site has grown so fast that ANY game used jersey collector should be aware of this auction just as they are about Grey Flannel, Mastro, Lelands, REA or any other major player. You're saying that a percentage of the Grey Flannel or other auction house bidders are overlooking this auction because they just don't know GUU is here? Maybe you're right, but I just don't buy it. If I was the guy who bought the John jersey in the Grey Flannel auction, I'd have to consider myself a fool for not seeing what else is available. I actually think the GUU John is better than the GF John. If that happened to a Mattingly jersey, this forum would be up in arms.

I know I eagerly await auctions to show up on websites and would never miss an opporunity to grab a great White Sox jersey. I'm pretty sure you're no different. I guess money is not an issue for some collectors, but those big differences in prices just don't make sense.

Mike
    Karamax yes this site has grown very fast but that doesnt automatically mean everyone knows about GUU. I still can speak with Collectors in this hobby today, who have been around for years and mention Game Used Universe and they say "Who". So even with the popularity of the site it is not as big as you think it is and esepcially with the Auction part of it is no where near the status of Grey Flannel, REA, AMI, or one of the others.

Here is a perfect example which is a thread I posted a few days ago.

Classic Auctions who has been around for a while. Yet I never heard of them. They are a mainly a Hockey Auction house. Yet they recently had a huge collection of Montreal Expos game used Baseball Jerseys and some really nice pieces of Gary Carter unfortunately I ran into the website a week after auction ended.
    That is a place I wouldn't even have considered to look for such items let alone I never even heard of them.
    Moral to the Story is items that sold there sold for ten times less in my opinion then what they would have got if it was listed on Grey Flannel.

You cant just assume everyone knows about Game Used Universe or the Auction just because the site has been around for a few years and because the Auction part has been around for a few months.