Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Grey Flannel Auctions - How Did You Do?

Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    I was high bidder on the Jeter GU bat unitl about 11:30 lastnight. Ended up going to about 17k. I really fell in love with that bat.
    Ok I just looked and the bat ended at a little over 20k.
    After buyers premium, shipping, insurance and sales tax if the person lives in New York. your talking about 22k to 23k

My first question is WHY???????

I am not knocking you for wanting it and yes I know everyone has there own reason for paying highly or over paying for something they really want.

But I cannot think of anything justifying that price.

Its a Home Run bat yes I understand that which does sell for more of a premium then a regular game used bat and if the person is a big power hitter with possibilities of breaking a home run record or shooting for the 500 home run club or maybe even a home run bat from a World Series Champ Season.

But here is my thinking you can pick up a Jeter Game Used bat from Steiner at any time from 2k to 4k depending on the weather.
    Since its a Home Run bat lets add a thousand or 2.

Jeter a borderline Hall of Famer as far as I am concerned
    Not a power hitter.
    No where near breaking any Home Run records.
    No where near joining the 500 club.

How does a bat of my personal opinion value go from the 5k mark (which im even stretching because I don't even think its worth that much) go to 22k+????

I am sorry I just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Not a power hitter.
    Suave, I agree that 20k+ is insane, but I wouldn't say Jeter is a borderline Hall of Fame player. He may not hit for power, but he does hit. I know he still has a few years to prove longevity, but he is ahead of Pete Rose's pace for hits. I say Jeter will get to at least 3,000 hits and get into the HOF.

That being said, that 20k blows my mind! I have a Jeter game used bat that is pounded with use and even though he doesnt hit a lot of home runs, there is a good chance he hit one with it. Its for sale, a bargain, only 15K!

Ok I just looked and the bat ended at a little over 20k.
    After buyers premium, shipping, insurance and sales tax if the person lives in New York. your talking about 22k to 23k

My first question is WHY???????

I am not knocking you for wanting it and yes I know everyone has there own reason for paying highly or over paying for something they really want.

But I cannot think of anything justifying that price.

Its a Home Run bat yes I understand that which does sell for more of a premium then a regular game used bat and if the person is a big power hitter with possibilities of breaking a home run record or shooting for the 500 home run club or maybe even a home run bat from a World Series Champ Season.

But here is my thinking you can pick up a Jeter Game Used bat from Steiner at any time from 2k to 4k depending on the weather.
    Since its a Home Run bat lets add a thousand or 2.

Not a power hitter.

How does a bat of my personal opinion value go from the 5k mark (which im even stretching because I don't even think its worth that much) go to 22k+????

I am sorry I just don't see it.

Suave,

Not to worry. We're both on the same page. I was was high bidder at around $5500. That was as mcuh as I could justify paying for the bat. Anything more than that and I believe would be too much.

At about 11:30 lastnight the price jump from the 5500 bid I had placed to 12k and 15min later to the final bidding price of 17k. I don't know who won the lot, but they wanted the bat BAD and $$$ was not an issue.

Who should I contact about purchasing items from Steiner. I've heard Bob Malandro's name thrown out before, but have no experience dealing with him.

Rick

Rick,

I have dealt with Bob several times. He always replies and is great to deal with. Good luck finding a Jeter bat.

-Chris

Banned

They have a Jeter bat available now.

Call Brooks Cowan one of the best they have there.

Talking Re: Grey Flannel Auctions - How Did You Do?

Hey guys wanted to see if anyone here bid in the auction?

Did you bid on anything?

If so did you win?
    I won the Jeff Bagwell 2001 game used black alternate jersey. Final bid price was $850, which brought it to $1,024 with the buyer's premium. I wasn't too happy that they extended their 9:00 rule by like 6 hours! According to their policy the 9:00 rule allows them to extend the bidding for 10 minutes, but only for people who bid on the auction previously. At that point the jersey was around $580 or so. They of course have a disclaimer that they can extend the bidding as long as they want to at their own discretion, and they certainly exercised that last night by extending the bidding by 6 hours! I'm sure it was because a lot of the auction lots hadn't gone for too much by the time 9:00 EST rolled around.

Anyway, I had a $150 credit from the last auction, so I'll end up getting the jersey for about $900 with shipping. I was expecting it to go for a little more than that as well. The jersey itself didn't appear to show to much game use from the photos they provided, although it is a black jersey. So I took a chance on it. It's possible that it might be a game issued jersey instead. But, if it checks out then I think $900 is a great price for the rare black alternate jersey, which has always been one of my favorite Astros jerseys! Bagwell is also one of my all-time favorite players. Even if it's just game issued, the price is at the upper end of what I would be willing to pay for a game issued jersey anyway, so I think I came out ahead either way.

Lou,

The 10min rule applies to ALL lots. As long as one lot has been bid on in the last 10min, they all remain open (to bidders who had bid on that particular lot prior to the 9pm deadline) until no bids are recorded on ANY lot for a 10min period.

Respectfully,
    Rick

Do you guys have a number I can reach Bob or Cowen through?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    Do you guys have a number I can reach Bob or Cowen through?

Rick

Rick,

You can call the main number and ask for either guy, or their email address' are first initial and last name @ steinersports .com (bmalandro@steinersports.com).

Banned

You can reach Brooks here

bcowan@steinersports.com