Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

Primer on Sand Knit tags

I see there has been a Wilson and Russell primer tagging thread. What about putting together a Sand-Knit one? Anyone?

Re: Primer on Sand Knit tags

I have tried to put a Sand-Knit primer together, but I am not 100% sure of the exact dates. I will post some photos soon, and maybe the forum can pinpoint the dates.
    Some Sand Knitting Mills history:
    Sand – Knit was started by John Sand in Chicago, Illinois in 1921. Sand-Knit was a manufacturer of custom athletic uniforms, award sweaters and jackets. Sales and distribution were accomplished thru nationwide team athletic dealers. Sand-Knit operated in Chicago until 1953 when John Sand re-located the business to Berlin, Wisconsin.

What year did Wilson begin to employ Sand-Knit to make it's NFL gamers? I'm assuming that they used someone else starting around 1991, since the fabric changed from the course nylon to the smooth.

Some interesting background info:

1920s

1930s

Late 1940s, very early 1950s

Banned

Hope these scans help,

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Here are a couple Sand Knit tail tag examples from my NY Jets collection. Thanks for the other pics gentlemen, very interesting to see the variations/styles/progression. Hey both-teams-played-hard, are those pics you posted of football gamers? Only being a football collector I am not even knowledgeable as to if Sand Knit made gamers for other sports? Thanks again and I hope more are able to post their examples. Happy Memorial Day.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Sorry: the first is from my 1972 Ed Galigher dureen- double tagged on the crotch piece and the other is from my 1989 Joe Prokop dureen.

The images I posted are from basketball jerseys. Sand Knit has made many basketball jerseys for many years, NBA and NCAA. They made a few MLB jerseys in the late 70s and early 80s. Any Sand Knit "MacGregor" jersey is post 1985.