Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red Sox Bat Notes

Sat in the front row next to the on deck circle friday night at Oakland with my son and got to speak with Varitek, Pedroia and the bat boy about bats. Here are some learnings as well as a couple photos (Ellsbury with a nice blonde X-bat and my son with Youkilis)

Varitek told me that we can tell his BP bats apart from gamers by weight. He used 33oz or more for BP and 32 or so for games with a cupped end. Said that several teammates (incl Manny) often use the same bat in BP and the game. He does not.

Papi used black X-bats all weekend. Used the typical Big Stix in BP only. Bat Boy told me this is a new thing and he may play with some others too. Also said that any 34 inch Papi bat is likely a BP bat, as he uses 34.5 in games (I think we all knew that.) The tops of these x-bats were both scratched down to raw wood. I see too many "gamers" with clean paint on the tops.

Manny used SSK's all weekend. Bat Boy had not seen any SAM's this year, just X-bats and SSK.

Pedroia used a 2-tone M9 in addition to the usual black M9.

Ellsbury carried around an armful of blonde X-bats and did not let anyone touch them. After the games, he carried them all back to the clubhouse himself. He ignored (appropriately) my son's begging to get a broken one. Uses same bats in BP.

Both Manny and Papi's gamers have printed number stickers on the knobs this year saying "24" and "34." I have a late season Manny X-bat from 2007 with the same thing.
    Matt

Lowell and Youk used the black M9's. Lots of Maple on this team these days!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Red Sox Bat Notes

Thanks Matt! Are you a big sox collector?

Can you post pic's of your manny x-bat for reference?

Thanks,

Anthony

Matt,

Thanks for the info!

What I noticed with Varitek is that he mainly uses a all black Rawlings bat for B.P. and a two tone Rawlings for games.

Manny has been using X-bats for the majority of his at bats this season and SSK, he has used a Diablo in a couple of games and for spring training.

Ortiz started of with Nokona, then Rawlings and now X-bat.

On Ellsbury, his X-bat is the most difficult to get as far as Red Sox bats. I have been looking for one for a while and finally was able to get one, I'll post pics when the bat arrives.

Bobby

Anthony -

I have inserted below an image of my manny bat broken on 9/29/07, an X-bat identical to the one he hit the big ALDS Walk-off with a week later. The number stickers are the same this year for Manny and Ortiz. When I looked in the bat rack this weekend, all their gamers had these silver stick-on numbers. Most others still had the silver marker numbers on them.

Bobby - Thanks for the info as well. I have been building my sox collection for a couple of years and am also still searching for that elusive Ellsbury X-bat. Given how closely he monitored his lumber last weekend, it will be a tough one!

Alternate topic: Why are there so many uncracked Ortiz bats out there? Does he just use them a few times in BP and sell them? Most of his gamers on TV have trashed tops since he often drags them in the dirt on the on-deck circle. But most of those for sale are pretty clean on top...Lots of BP bats out there? Anyone have ideas how to tell an Ortiz BP bat from a gamer? I know Bobby has a good selection going, and I have bought a few, but am now pondering this question...

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Anthony -

I have inserted below an image of my manny bat broken on 9/29/07, an X-bat identical to the one he hit the big ALDS Walk-off with a week later. The number stickers are the same this year for Manny and Ortiz. When I looked in the bat rack this weekend, all their gamers had these silver stick-on numbers. Most others still had the silver marker numbers on them.

Bobby - Thanks for the info as well. I have been building my sox collection for a couple of years and am also still searching for that elusive Ellsbury X-bat. Given how closely he monitored his lumber last weekend, it will be a tough one!

Alternate topic: Why are there so many uncracked Ortiz bats out there? Does he just use them a few times in BP and sell them? Most of his gamers on TV have trashed tops since he often drags them in the dirt on the on-deck circle. But most of those for sale are pretty clean on top...Lots of BP bats out there? Anyone have ideas how to tell an Ortiz BP bat from a gamer? I know Bobby has a good selection going, and I have bought a few, but am now pondering this question...

Matt
    Matt,

I heard that David Ortiz is a guy with a big heart, that's why they call him "Big Papi". A friend of mine called me a few years ago and said that his "boys" had a ton of his game used stuff, bats, jerseys and cleats that they were looking to sell. Ortiz takes care of the people close to him, that's why their so much of his stuff floating around. His stuff could show a ton of use or hardly any use, just depends on when he gives it away. Below is a pic of Ortiz giving a kid a game used bat away at Fenway this year.

Also, on that ALDS Manny X-bat you mentioned, I own that bat he used to hit the ALDS walk off HR vs the Angels, Manny smoked a 96-mph Francisco Rodriguez fastball way over the green monster, that same bat was also used in game 3 of the ALDS in Anaheim to hit a HR off of Angels pitcher Jered Weaver. David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez led off the top of the 4th with back-to-back homers in that game.

Hi Guys,

David actually got the name "Big Papi" b/c he always calls everyone "Papi" and never by their actaully name. Bobby has it right though from all the stories I have heard David Ortiz is as good as it gets.

Bobby,

I can't believe Manny let that bat go!!!! I remember reading an article by one of their beat writers claiming Manny kept the bat for his son. I guess he had his price! Thats one incredible piece, can you share some photos?

Anthony

When is last time Ortiz has used a Louisville Slugger in a game? I thought I saw him use one a couple weeks a M9.

Quote Originally Posted by gameused View Post
    Matt,

Manny has been using X-bats for the majority of his at bats this season and SSK, he has used a Diablo in a couple of games and for spring training.

Bobby
    This should make Brian Hillerich (BMH) very happy considering he is under contract with LS.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Game Used Bats View Post
    Hi Guys,

David actually got the name "Big Papi" b/c he always calls everyone "Papi" and never by their actaully name. Bobby has it right though from all the stories I have heard David Ortiz is as good as it gets.

Bobby,

I can't believe Manny let that bat go!!!! I remember reading an article by one of their beat writers claiming Manny kept the bat for his son. I guess he had his price! Thats one incredible piece, can you share some photos?

Anthony
    Anthony,

I purchased a Manny X-bat shortly after the ALDS. When I bought the bat from the seller there was no mention the bat was used in the ALDS. I pretty much just looked for photos from games prior to the playoffs and the ALDS and almost fell of my chair when I matched the bat to the two games. I have not read that news article, but during the celebration after the game, Manny may have kept the wrong bat or was given the wrong bat. I have the bat stored away in a safe place and will take some photos when I have time.

Thanks, Bobby