Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Andres Galaraga NL Bating Title Bat

Hi – I have a commemorative bat that was issued when Galaraga won the NL bating title in the Rockies first year (1993).

The bat is signed and dated by Andres and is also numbered #51 of 60 made on the handle.

Just wondering what folks think the value would be on something like this?

Thanks!

Tom

Re: Andres Galaraga NL Bating Title Bat

60 bats??? id think its worth 100k feel better now? sheesh its worth whatever someone is willing to pay ya.

Banned

well i have to agree its really worth whatever someone is willing to pay. You have to realize being that it is numbered on a commerative bat really only makes it valuable to someone would be interested in collecting something like that. Otherwise I would just say whatever Andres general market value of his autograph is and thats what its worth!! General market value would probably be somewhere in the $60 range but i could be wrong.

Here is some info Andres was supposed to play with the Mets in 2005 he was invited to spring camp but didnt make the cut. They actaully have a season jersey for him but he never got the chance to wear it.

Thanks for the info...not a bat guy at all (guessing that is rather obvious at this point) so I appreciate the help.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by flaco1801
    60 bats??? id think its worth 100k feel better now? sheesh its worth whatever someone is willing to pay ya.
    A suggestion-

It's responses like this that will keep new forum members or inexperienced hobbyists from posting on this site.

People should not be put down for asking any question.

A reminder- any and every question is welcome here, if it's your first day collecting or if you have been in the hobby 50 years.

I hate the idea that people would hesitate to ask a question because they might be met with this kind of attitude.

A simple "I think it's probably one of those things where it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay" would have been sufficient.

Thanks
    Eric

eric im simply tired of people asking how much money is something worth. you like something you buy it. you dont buy something you like and then ask a question of what its worth. this is a hobby remember. we are not talking about a rarity of the hobby. there are many books and magazines to read to get an approximate value. i may be wrong, but i think the forum is about asking questions about what we have found in an attic, flea market, or happenned upon during our lifes travels, sharing our finds and not putting a monetary value upon everything we purchase. and to be truthful, we already know what the bat is worth, whatever the hobbyist paid for it, plus the ENJOYMENT he gets from owning it and having it in his COLLECTION. i keep telling myself this is a hobby, this is a hobby, this is a hobby. 27 years and counting, ive never made a dime on anything ive purchased, tho ive given away many items to make people smile, and even coaxed a few into collecting themselves. Please enjoy what you purchase, dont think about whats it worth, you might find someday that the item is indeed valueable, only because your grandchildren had memories of your excitement with your collection.

Banned

flaco i disagree with you somewhat, items do have a monetary value otherwise there wouldnt be price guides and yes in deed i do agree that it is about the collector and what he wants, but items do have general market vaules.
    It is a HOBBY, but as everything else in this world it costs money. I want an autographed mickey mantle baseball but I am not going to pay millions of dollars for it, just bcuz I want it. So items that have monetary values can also help you associate with if the item is in demand or if it is rare. As far as speaking about it here is the perfect place to discuss it bcuz it is a part of the hobby. Since you feel this hobby shouldnt have Monetary Value go to a Derek Jeter signing get a Bat signed and when they tell you "that will be $500 Sir" I want you to tell them "This is a HOBBY" - see if they let you go on the $500

Hi Jake,

Sorry you had to deal with flaco's attitude. I am surprised, because I have made several posts on this board, and everybody who responded has been nothing but helpful and polite.

Anyway, regarding your bat I would have agree with Suave, it is probably worth in the $60 range. However, since it is dated and inscribed, maybe a little more, like $70-75.

Hope this helps!

Matt

Matt – Yes, that does help. Thank you.

Eric – Thanks for saying what I was thinking.

Flaco – I get your point and can agree with the aspect that, yes, there is an enjoyment element that helps you set your own ‘internal’ valuation of an item. I feel this way about game used Broncos jerseys – there ‘value’ comes from the connection they provide to a memory of watching a specific player or a specific season. The monetary value of the jerseys I have are secondary in this case for me.

To the bat, as I mentioned, I am clueless on what to look for, valuation, etc with bats. I had a cousin that worked for the Rockies in ’93 and had given me a bunch of bats that bat boys picked up after they were cracked, etc during games as well as this commemorative bat so I was just trying to find out more info so I didn’t get taken if I decided to part with it….granted, you are right that there are price guides, etc to find this stuff but I thought I would try the experts first.

Sorry to extend this one but thought I should respond. Thanks again to everyone with the help on the valuation.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by flaco1801
    eric im simply tired of people asking how much money is something worth. you like something you buy it. you dont buy something you like and then ask a question of what its worth. this is a hobby remember. we are not talking about a rarity of the hobby. there are many books and magazines to read to get an approximate value.
    My advice if you feel this way would be to simply move on to the next post. No need for a nasty comment.

Also, it would also be helpful to suggest to Tom where he might be able to find the answer if indeed there is a guide which could tell him how much the bat is worth.

Let's think constructively here.

All collectors are welcomed. All questions are welcomed.
    Eric