Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fraud Victim advice

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for some legal or helpful advice on an ebay/paypal transaction I had for about $125 a couple months ago.

I sold a jersey on ebay and the buyer paid through paypal. A few weeks after the transaction, paypal sent me an email issuing a Chargeback. A Chargebacks occur when buyers ask their credit card company to reverse a transaction that has already been approved. I firmly believe I am a victim of Chargeback fraud which is when a buyer reports that someone else has illegally used their credit card information to make a transaction.
    The thief will make a legitimate purchase and then claim that they never authorized the transaction. I was able to show proof of delivery and the buyer even tried to resell the item on ebay. The buyer was eventually kicked off ebay. In the end the buyers credit card company ruled in his favor and I now owe paypal $125 and my jersey is gone. Even with all my evidence I didn't have a prayer.

It's a pretty pathetic story and shows how easy it is get ripped off. Anyone have any history or advice on how to fight back. I really don't care that much about the money. I just want the buyer to burn.

Mike

Re: Fraud Victim advice

A similar thing happened to me on an arod batting glove, it went for a little over $200 and about a month later the guy filed a chargeback. I had saved the tracking numbers and i sent them to paypal, within a few days paypal took the hold off and gave me my money back. I was covered under the seller protection plan and it didnt matter what the buyers card decided. Are you a verified and confirmed paypal member? if so you should have beem protected also.

No I wasn't verified. It's something I'll obviously have to change to avoid this in the future. I just find it very scary how easy it is to defraud someone with a chargeback.

Mike

That's a scary sitution there. I can't believe paypal did not make the buyer send the item back with a tracker before they issued a refund. Makes me very hesitant to keep accepting paypal, I may consider switching to money orders only. Sorry to hear about your situation, very troubling.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

not the same thing but i bought somethine on ebay last year it cost like $18 and i just had signed up for paypal credit so i am waiting for the item never arrived emailed the guy no response 5 months later i finally got the guy he said he would ship another this is after i was on phone with paypal then i getting charged interest form paypal so long story short it was almost nine months after i won the auction the guy finally sent the item and i was not paying paypal because i dont know about you i'm not paying for anything i dont have in my hands when i finally got my item i was charged triple what i paid for it paypal would do nothing then paypal turned it over to a credit agency and was forced to pay the bill almost $80 for an $18 item i was so mad luckily the guy is now banned from ebay

Mike,
    I would advise you to contact your local police department with a fraud complaint. The one caveat is that there are still law enforcement agencies that think that eBay and other online auctions are "civil problems" when complaints such as yours arise. There are however, many agencies that would pursue an investigation and possible criminal charges. Do not take no for an answer if they are unwilling to at least look into your complaint. There are criminals that lurk on eBay and they need to be stopped. You would be suprised at the amount of cooperation eBay has with law enforcement. I have worked with them in the past and found them to be very helpful.

Prosecution can be difficult but over 90% of the time, one phone call from a detective is all it takes to get the bad guy to at least make restitution. This is not the best option but at least the victim has his/her money back.

I would also contact your State Attorney General's office (fraud division) and report this guy.

Good Luck....

If you wait a couple years, I think that OJ's next book will have some good advice for you.

Seriously, that is scary and sadly the cyber world is still too new for the courts to have address all scenarios. For the dollar amount, I would suggest talking to someone at your local court to see if you can file a small claims case with them. Good luck.

www.zabasearch.com

find him, go to his house, and settle your dispute the way that men have for hundreds of years..........

Small claims will get you nothing except court cost. (unless the offender lives in the state where you live or, you are willing to travel to where the offender lives to file). Even if the courts find in favor of you (the victim), they lack the teeth to really enforce a judgement. Trust me, the offender will not even show up and ignore the out of state judgement.

It is impossible to ignore a felony criminal charge.

If your facts are correct, it appears that he has broken numerous laws. For example, each time he tries to sell stolen goods, that in and of itself is a breaking of the law.