Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broken bats and glue

I just got my first game used bat, a beauty from the Phillies attributable to Chase Utley, complete with a perfect photomatch. Problem is, it is cracked/broken...big-time. Without tape, the two pieces are impossible to keep together; with the tape, it is wobbly and won't stay together. If, however, I were to glue it together, it looks respectable even if you can see the crack lines.

My question for the baseball guys out there is how much it hurts the value to glue a broken bat together for the sake of display. I figure I could use just enough wood glue to hold it together but any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

FYI, my bat is in the pic below:

Banned

Re: Broken bats and glue

I dont think it hurts the value at all unless it was a bat of some record breaking significance otherwise I would think it would be more valuable to glue it back together.

Give Jeff Scott an email. He repaired my Kelly Stinnett bat that was split the entire length and the job was outstanding. He will do you right.
    birdbats@charter.net
    woodbat

It looks like a pretty clean break too. You would be suprised how well a black bat can be repaired...I have a few that have huge, but nearly invisible cracks.

Two were repaired by Jeff Scott.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    It looks like a pretty clean break too. You would be suprised how well a black bat can be repaired...I have a few that have huge, but nearly invisible cracks.

Two were repaired by Jeff Scott.
    Dave, still can't get over how much you look like Tony L...

I wouldnt fix it a bit.

Display the 2 pieces close together with that photo. The photo says it all.

just my .02

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    I wouldnt fix it a bit.

Display the 2 pieces close together with that photo. The photo says it all.

just my .02

Jim

I agree 110%. I recently got an Emil Brown broken bat which was photomatched. The team had taped it together but I actually took the tape off and displayed it in 2 pieces. I love the way it looks with it broken in 2

Thanks for the information. I am letting my son display it in his room so why not let him decide? I will probably have the bat repair guy take a look at it if we want to go that route.

Sounds like it is just a matter of preference. It doesn't hurt the value, it is just how you want to display it.

Thanks again.

Roger

I have a Miguel Cabrera bat with awsome use, but it's in two pieces. I had the same problem with the tape/zip tie/etc. I put one tiny glue dot just to hold them together, so they'd display better. I felt tape would detract from the display, but if I had a photo match like that, I'd probably leave them in pieces... That's an awsome action photo that tells the story

Of course, do what you want, but in my opinion its a waste of an awesome photo match --- And thats an awesome photo by the way --- to repair that bat. If you repair the bat, I think it makes that photo match less intriguing. I think you could make an awesome display using that photo and the two pieces. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy.

And could be a great talking piece"s" (sorry for the pun), especially if maple gets banned or restricted in meetings next week or further down the road. Thats a proto-type bat break to the whole discussion of re-evaluating the role of maple bats in MLB.

I think its awesome as is.