Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: GU trade for Player's 1st HR Ball falls through

If I caught it I would have kept it. Its not everyday that you even have an opportunity to catch a great prospects first career home run. Cargo makes millions, he can cope without. And like I said earlier, if he really wanted it he should have shelled out some cash or given the guy what he wanted. It amazes me! Does anyone know the guy who caught it? I would attempt to buy it off of him...

I can't blame the fan for wanting a lot. Gonzalez is a hell of a prospect, I'd want at least a jersey for it, plus other incentives.. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by brianborsch View Post
    If I caught it I would have kept it. Its not everyday that you even have an opportunity to catch a great prospects first career home run. Cargo makes millions, he can cope without. And like I said earlier, if he really wanted it he should have shelled out some cash or given the guy what he wanted. It amazes me! Does anyone know the guy who caught it? I would attempt to buy it off of him...

Brian email me (mdragon75@aim.com) I can probably put you in touch with the guy I know plenty of people who know this guy.

Can anyone find and post a link to the story about the Patriots fan who caught the Doug Flutie drop kick ball that went in the stands? I think he tried to extort the Pats for season tickets. Anyone remember?

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Can anyone find and post a link to the story about the Patriots fan who caught the Doug Flutie drop kick ball that went in the stands? I think he tried to extort the Pats for season tickets. Anyone remember?

Sunday, January 29, 2006

The "Real" Patriots Fan

Have you heard the story of the ball that Doug Flutie drop kicked?

Because it was a surprise play, the field goal net was never raised, so one lucky fan actually caught the now famous ball. The Football Hall of Fame contacted the Pats asking for the ball, along with Flutie's jersey and shoes. The Pats gladly handed over the jersey and spikes, but security and game tapes failed to identify which fan caught the ball. Some of the season ticket holders contacted the Pats and identified the ball catcher, whom the they tried to reach and had none of their calls returned. Then on Monday, the Pats received a fax from the attorney of the ball catcher. Here is what the fax said:

According to the fax, the law office represents Mr. X, ''who is in possession of the football recently drop kicked by Doug Flutie for the first extra point scored in the NFL by drop kick in forty one years. My client understands that the New England Patriots may have an interest in purchasing that historic football."
    Then came the fan's ''terms and conditions," which frankly boggle the mind. Here's what one self-proclaimed ''real Patriot fan" feels the ball is worth:
    ''1. Payment of ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND ($100,000.00) DOLLARS [lawyer's capitals] on delivery of the football.
    ''2. A guarantee of eight (8) season tickets for 25 years in the end zone (preferably sections 142 or 143).
    ''a. The season tickets will be paid for annually by my client at the then going price for season tickets. The Patriots would not be expected to pay for the tickets.
    ''3. Delivery by the Patriots to my client sometime in September, 2006, of a Tom Brady Patriots' football jersey signed by all the team members as of the beginning of the next football season."

Nice. This guy is a "real" Pats fan? How about, I'd like to return the ball to Mr Flutie and my wife and I would like to go out to dinner with the Fluties.
    Or how about an autographed Flutie jersey? What the hell is this guy thinking. One member of the Pats brass was quoted, "I hope he enjoys the ball."
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Thanks Joel
    I thought I remembered it sounding like a ransom demand...and it did.

I sometimes think about what kind of things I'd ask for in a situation like the Carlos HR ball. I guess it would really depend a lot on the player involved (or players, if items from teammates were being requested). A person could easily get greedy and cross the line, so that even if your demands were met, they (the players and management) would always remember you, not as a fan, but as that greedy bastich who wanted the moon for a baseball.

That being said, personally, I don't know why a jersey would be a deal-breaker, either. It's not like the equipment guys couldn't put together a replacement quickly enough.

I already have four of Carlos' bats - an '06 Marucci from Tennessee, a LS M9 and an Old Hickory from last year in Mobile, and an Old Hickory from '07 Spring Training - so in my case, I might not even ask for a bat...maybe a jersey and a batting helmet. Is that greedy? I don't know. In terms of dollars and cents, it doesn't seem like something that a Major League team (or player) would be worried about.

I agree, players can use multiple bats a game, wear a different jersey for that matter if ther want...but a home run ball...thats something a player just can create or use on demand...its the one item left in baseball the can't be cheapened...if i were a player & the fan only asked for a few items...no money involved...I'd be thrilled!!

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdale View Post
    I agree, players can use multiple bats a game, wear a different jersey for that matter if ther want...but a home run ball...thats something a player just can create or use on demand...its the one item left in baseball the can't be cheapened...if i were a player & the fan only asked for a few items...no money involved...I'd be thrilled!!
    did you mean a player just can or cannot create?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdale View Post
    you make a great point. hr balls are the only milestone item that players has no control over. the bat is on the field, his uniform is on him but the ball he has no control of once it goes over the wall or fence.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com