Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: GU trade for Player's 1st HR Ball falls through

yes, I meant CAN'T create....most players use many bats, card companies want jerseys...most items can be used at will...but a milestone or homerun ball.......theres only so many of those....

And that was my point exactly. If I were Carlos and making the money that he has made thus far, I would have offered GU equipment. If that was a no-go I would offer the guy a lot of cash. It is your first MLB HR for God's sake! That will NEVER happen again!

He obviously didn't care too much about it.

plus, the team sent a rep to ask the fan, they wont do that too often. A player can go home w/ a bat everyday...bring home a few jerseys a season, but to have an actual home run ball....ANY home run ball in your career for that matter....he wont have that oportunity to often.

i wonder if someone polled professional baseball players, if they kept any significant baseball whether, how many would say yes. and if yes, how many went out of their way on their own to get it. now they have stadium personnel that assist so maybe the total is higher. in the old days probably even less.

i dont think player think a homerun ball belongs to them. its nice to have but if they dont get it, its no bid deal to them.

i think the only exceptions are milestone baseballs and game walk-off homers but i wonder if players are going around the base is thinking i really want that ball back. i wouldnt be surprise if the majority of ball players believe the ball belongs to the fans he catch them.

if i was cc sabathia i would want the 440 foot bomb I launch this weekend. his first hr and it was a monster.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    the guy who caught it is the same guy who caught Bonds 715. He is a cocky SOB who thinks the world owes him and sits in the OF and "professionally" catches HR balls during games and BP to sell later.
    Had I caught it I would have asked for a Cargo gamer and a Thomas gamer but still would have given him the ball even if they said no to the Thomas.
    I can see the point of view for fans of particular players who want the player to have the milestone baseballs, but if I caught a ball from an up and coming player, I would expect fair market value for it or my choice of a reasonable amount of other memorabilia. I mean, I'm mister work-a-day Joe, earning middle class type jack for working 8-5. I've got two youngsters to think about paying for college and goodness knows what else. And if some millionaire hits a ball my way that is worth some dough, I think I'm going to make that hay while the sun is shining. I mean, I'd like for the guy to have it if he wants it, but why should a millionaire expect to pay far less than fair market value for ANYTHING?
    I can understand those who feel compelled to give it back, and that's cool. I don't think their dumb or anything. In fact, I admire them. But I can also understand the mentality of those who feel that admiration ain't gonna help put the kids through college!

If he wants the Ball back he will give up what ever it takes on his part.

last year when sosa hit his 600 the bull pen guys cought the ball and gave it to the bull pen catcher. the catcher now drives around in a tricked out cadillac. pretty cool