Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GU trade for Player's 1st HR Ball falls through

This was in today's Oakland Tribune:

No Deal
    The A's sent someone to try to fetch the ball that Carlos Gonzalez hit Friday night for his first major league homer. Gonzalez signed two of his bats, and the team even threw in a Kurt Suzuki bat, as an enticement for the fan who had the ball to make an exchange.
    No dice.
    According to Gonzalez, the fan was demanding an A's jersey as part of the package. Gonzalez would have liked the souvenir, but not so much that he wanted the team to get in a bidding war.
    "You know what? I never (assumed) I was going to get the ball," Gonzalez said.

Re: GU trade for Player's 1st HR Ball falls through

i remember when i was with the o's i was bat boy for the mariners and jeremy reed hit his first hr it hit off the foul pole and after the game one of the coaches asked me to go get the ball it went to the ball girl aso i did all i took was a plain white baseball and i traded him it was get away day and the guy was getting ready to leave i had to go up in the stands in uniform on the first base line the guy just traded i gave the ball to jeremey and he was amazed that i went in the stands to get the ball for him.
    i also remember jose morban his first major league pitch was a hr the guy wanted a team ball, bat, jersey i think i ended up giving him 6-8 cracked bats for the ball

Gonzalez is hitting 247 this season.Not sure what the guy thinks he is gonna get for the ball but 3 bats and an autographed ball seems more than fair to me.

Dude, I think you might be pregnant.

You've missed a bunch of periods.

late night

late night
    Toast on a stick.

I couldn't resist some old NBC word association.

Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    Dude, I think you might be pregnant.

You've missed a bunch of periods.
    Now that was funny! Still can't stop laughing! Great humor!

If he really wanted it why wouldn't he just give the fan what he wanted? What would it have cost to include that? Gosh, if I was a pro baseball player (getting paid a good amount of money like Carlos) I would have either done the deal or paid the guy a good amount of cash as that ball would have a huge sentimental amount of value to me, despite the fact it may not be worth all that much. He will never have another 1st home run ball. Oh well, maybe he is not as attached.

Hate to see Carlos did not get the ball, he gave me one of his cracked bats when he was with the D-backs and signed it for me. He was really nice.
    70to66

the guy who caught it is the same guy who caught Bonds 715. He is a cocky SOB who thinks the world owes him and sits in the OF and "professionally" catches HR balls during games and BP to sell later.
    Had I caught it I would have asked for a Cargo gamer and a Thomas gamer but still would have given him the ball even if they said no to the Thomas.