Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Sid Luckman jersey auction

Why didn't AMI mention that Luckman caused the paint stains himself? It seems the story would add to the provenance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Why didn't AMI mention that Luckman caused the paint stains himself? It seems the story would add to the provenance.
    There you go again with the PhotoShop work!

From the American Memorabilia listing:

In the course of professional analysis, it was discovered that the jersey had undergone a team-instituted number change. Traces of an original “12” outline in this exact font style can be faintly detected. Part of the reason that such can be determined is that the situating of the numerals ("1" and "2") was oriented differently than "42." It is conclusive that the present "42" was period-instituted, franchise-sanctioned and administered. This is satisfactorily explained in that an aspiring player in 1946, Walt Lamb, didn't make the club in ’47, and his jersey was thereby converted from #12 to #42. According to authenticator Lou Lampson, this was a common practice in the austere “Papa Bear” 1940s and '50s era, and Lamb’s physical bearing (6’ 1”; 195 lbs.) nearly mirrors that of Luckman (6’ 0”; 197 lbs.).

Not a big deal, but I just asked if anyone else knew about the number change before it was published. At the time, I didn't even know it was going to be auctioned off by AMI (even though I was told I should have seen it at The National - I do not stop by the AMI booth anymore for personal reasons. Oh yeah, and I was at The National for four hours or so and never came back) but I am glad AMI described this number change in their listing.

Now, we can see what this brings with a disclosed number change!

Quote Originally Posted by saftey45 View Post
    Has anyone on this site ever seen the jersey?? It was that the national in chicago and I did take a look at it. I thought it looked liked way to clean to be game worn. I did not notice anything on it, except for the paint. Sleeves/elbows, shoulders were as clean as the day the shirt was produced. I was going to take pictures but It in a glass case and there was way to much reflections from the lights. Anyone else get a look at it let us know... hope that helps it anyone is interested. Mike
    When I looked at the shirt at the National, it appeared the same to me as well....there didn't seem to be much for wear...and regardless of what position he played, jerseys from this era should show a considerable amount of use...

the description states that there is one repair UNDER the sewn on number...did that happen from the guy who previously wore this?...or did the tear happen in the process of the number change?

The description is very accurate about being preserved so well...the orange colors on the numbers are extremely vibrant and again I was amazed that something so old stayed in such great condition

Regardless of whether it was field worn or not, this thing belongs in a museum....it's that nice....I'd be suprised if anyone who really wanted this thing would buy it sight unseen in the auction...so I guess they can make their own judgement as far as what it's worth....it will be interesting to see what it goes for

Quote Originally Posted by javabob123 View Post
    I appreciate your feedback, but I can't imagine why I would want to avoid a reputable auction house that is willing (by contract) to pay a large advance, earn a modest commission and be willing to pay the proceeds within 5 business days. The jersey will be exposed to the maximum number of bidders and quite honestly, would be quite entertaining.

Then again, I might just put it on display in my den, behind the bar.

Nah.

was this what was promised to you Java?

Quote Originally Posted by lund6771 View Post

the description states that there is one repair UNDER the sewn on number...did that happen from the guy who previously wore this?...or did the tear happen in the process of the number change?
    I think they mean below, as in lower then, the number & not below the sewn on number......

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    I think they mean below, as in lower then, the number & not below the sewn on number......
    Gotcha...I was thinking that they might want to re-word that, but on the other hand if someone is going to spend that kind of money, they probably already know that anyways

Interesting shots of this rare and valuable jersey being worn by an American Memorabilia model on page 116 and 117 of their catalog

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/catalogs/catalog.pdf
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

eric
    if you ever do this with the guu auction catalogues i will officially quit this board. whoever owns the jersey can do with it as they wish but to see it in this format makes me sick

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Interesting shots of this rare and valuable jersey being worn by an American Memorabilia model on page 116 and 117 of their catalog

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/catalogs/catalog.pdf
    Well, since Kieta also is the Editor of the catalog it does explain why she lacks the time to et checks out to consignors.