Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good Bat Investments

I was wondering what you guys think are some bats that would be good investments for the future. I know no ones bats from todays age will ever be as much as a Babe Ruth. Like if you have the money A-rods aint bad, because he may break the home run record. i'd like to hear your guys thoughts on some different player bats. Thanks

Re: Good Bat Investments

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    I was wondering what you guys think are some bats that would be good investments for the future. I know no ones bats from todays age will ever be as much as a Babe Ruth. Like if you have the money A-rods aint bad, because he may break the home run record. i'd like to hear your guys thoughts on some different player bats. Thanks
    Arod is definately a good one. My only concern is, there are just to many game used bats. What will be the demand down the line? If there are so many Derek Jeter P72 gamers, and you can find them so easily, what's the demand/interest?

Finding gamers from back in the day, is definately much rarer.

Just my thoughts.

Alex Rodriguez and Albert Pujols I think are obvious.

See what i like to do is this, you look at a given players number, you compare how many hits and homeruns they have to how long they have been in the league and how old they are. For example, Carlos Beltran is 31 years old, he has been playing for 10 years, he has over 1500 hits and over 270 HR. I believe that he could play another 8 years and at his rate he might have a chance at 500 HR and 3000 Hits. So for my reasoning i would buy a bat of a guy like that as an investment. But then of course supply and demand have factors, if there are too many beltran bats out there, then it wont matter what clubs he gets into.

Banned

Too much of everything nowadays to think good investment. Most the experts say pre-1980 stuff is the way to go. I agree. It's the old supply and demand thing. There might be 10 or 15 Johnny Bench 1976 bicentennial bats in the world, but there are 200 Arod bats every season that will hit the market. Simple math.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 33bird View Post
    Too much of everything nowadays to think good investment. Most the experts say pre-1980 stuff is the way to go. I agree. It's the old supply and demand thing. There might be 10 or 15 Johnny Bench 1976 bicentennial bats in the world, but there are 200 Arod bats every season that will hit the market. Simple math.
    Greg
    I agree. Too much of everything today.

I asked the forum a question about one of my Arod bats, but didn't get much response.

I have a 1996 Alex Rodriguez Rawlings Game Used Bat. To me, I would think this would be more in demand than his LVS. There are hundreds and hundreds of Arod LVS bats out there. How many Rawlings are there?

many items that are pre-Ken Griffey Jr are good investments, primarily yankees (munson, mattingly, yes mattingly) and redsox (yaz, luis tiant ) stuff, hall of game players stuff (ruth, clemente), and players stuff from great teams (the big red machine, yankees early 90s).Seems as tho future appreciation is build into many of the new equipement's asking price. Great stuff but poor investments.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I have always thought that most equipment, cards and autographs are a lousy investment.

If you have a collection, collect - if you are investing, and you don't have a large amount of disposable income...maybe investing in bats, etc. is not the greatest idea.

I know too many guys who were collectors of something at one point - and they almost always have become dealers in one way or another...whether it be eBay or garage sales...and they rarely make enough money to be comfortable.

Just an opinion.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    I have always thought that most equipment, cards and autographs are a lousy investment.

If you have a collection, collect - if you are investing, and you don't have a large amount of disposable income...maybe investing in bats, etc. is not the greatest idea.

I know too many guys who were collectors of something at one point - and they almost always have become dealers in one way or another...whether it be eBay or garage sales...and they rarely make enough money to be comfortable.

Just an opinion.
    I agree with this. If you are constantly checking price guides on your cards or worrying over the value of certain GU items, you are (in my opinion) doing yourself a great disservice on a number of fronts. First, you will not enjoy the hobby as much when you are constantly checking prices and fretting over market trends. Second, you are more than likely going to have a bunch of stuff that is worth less or the same as when you bought it. If anyone on this forum could say for certain what future markets for ANYTHING were going to be like, they wouldn't be nosing around this forum, they'd be relaxing on their own island somewhere.

I say, collect what you like and spend what you can afford to spend and forget about the value of items. Heck, some of the best items in my collection are things I acquired with absolutely no fore-thought as to what their value may be. Case in point, in 1987 when I was heavily into collecting 1987 Topps baseball cards, I briefly dabbled over into buying packs of cheaper (.35 a pack vs. .45 a pack) and less desirable 1987-88 Fleer basketball packs until I got a card of Jordan. I did this entirely on a whim. I bet the Jordan card is worth more than all of my 1987 cards together, not to mention the other cards I pulled along the way to the Jordan.

I think when you buy things hoping for an increase in value, you are more often than not going to end up disappointed.

Miguel Cabrera.He is young and can hit.Vlad Guerrero is also a good investment at this point I think.