Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Opinions on this Reggie HR ball

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reggie-Jackson-A...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not an expert but the signatures of both Reggie Jackson and Merrill on the COA seem off to me. Any thoughts on the authenticity? Have other Merrill pieces like this made it into the market?

I contacted the seller just to ask how they were obtained and he indicated directly from Merrill. Didn't seem at all disingenous so I'm just wondering on the board's opinion.

Re: Opinions on this Reggie HR ball

That doesnt look like my Reggie auto

I would simply ask him what kind of ball it is first. Then, I would ask what commissioner is on the ball. But not too many questions all at once

If its the wrong league, and/or the wrong commissioner for that time frame, then that obviously tells you its bogus.

he's also got a gooden no hitter gu ball and that does fit- it's a gene budig american league omlb. gooden's no hitter was in 1996 so that's right on the money.

im not an autograph expert by any means but i do know dr. k's as good as anybody and that one doesn't fit at all. it's with his real name- 'dwight' (rather than 'doc') something he stopped doing in 1989. it also looks off and where he signed 'gooden' looks completely off.

if memory serves there was a former mlb umpire who had flooded the market with some fake gu'd balls from historic events but i didn't think it was merrill. and i really want to believe these two items are real because, quite frankly, i really want them.

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    I would simply ask him what kind of ball it is first. Then, I would ask what commissioner is on the ball. But not too many questions all at once

If its the wrong league, and/or the wrong commissioner for that time frame, then that obviously tells you its bogus.

No comment on the Jackson ball, but I've seen game used balls with Merrill LOAs in reputable big auctions. It was a different umpire who sold fake balls.

In his autobiography, Merrill wrote that he kept a memorabilia collection, including balls from games he umpired. Interestingly, he specifically noted getting Jackson to sign a game ball for him-- though not a home run ball.

jerseydave.com

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...orabilia_x.htm

Here's a write up about the Ump who was selling Fakes. His name was Alan Clark.

David
    Jerseydave@sbcglobal.net

There is another Merrill GU ball on the American Memorabilia auction.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=44668

I emailed American Memorabilia to get a scan of the Letter from Merrill. It would be helpful to compare the two letters as well as Merrill's handwriting and the writing on the ball. I will post whatever I receive.

My opinion is if the Jackson and Merrill signatures are legitimate (ala get a PSA Quick Opinion), then the ball is likely legitimate.