Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2003 Pujols Jersey on eBay with Grey Flannel Letter

The seller told me the MEARS worksheet was obtained directly from Mastro, after he had sent it off to them. I find this suspect as MEARS had promised to not work with any auction house other than Robert Edward Auctions. Either MEARS lied, or Mastro is using third party's to have MEARS look at consignments since they are not able to use MEARS directly. MEARS promised to punish that behavior.

Any thoughts about the jersey either?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cardinals-Albert...QQcmdZViewItem

Banned

Re: 2003 Pujols Jersey on eBay with Grey Flannel Letter

This shirt has more lives than a black cat!

http://www.gameuseduniverse.net/vb_f...rsey+steinmetz

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by moderncollector View Post
    The seller told me the MEARS worksheet was obtained directly from Mastro, after he had sent it off to them.
    When was it sent? I'm a bit confused about what you're questioning...
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Banned

I guess he updated his listing, here is text I just found in the item's description:

"A known message board attempting, but failing, in the attempt to be a high class auction house was selling a signed Pujols signed gamer in their last auction, and it went for $6,000+."

I guess he is taking a shot at Game Used Universe. I talked to Chris and Rob at a trade show in Chicago a few weeks ago and they gave me the impression they are pleased with the progress of their auctions so I have no clue what these comments in their description mean.

Two observations:

1. I was under the impression that Albert had his jerseys cut without tails. This jersey has tails.

2. I see a copy of the MEARS worksheet, but there's no MEARS LOO.

A review of the MEARS worksheet identifies several red flags:

1. MEARS also noted that the jersey sizing is inconsistent with the tagging. The jersey is tagged as a 48. The chest measures out at 52. If he actually wore this jersey, Albert would be swimming in it. He generally appears to fill out his jerseys. Size 48 has been his size since the most of 2001.

2. MEARS could not identify the year of manufacture. "UNKNOWN 2003-2005" is noted on the worksheet. According to authenticgamers.com, a majority (99%) of Cards jerseys in 2003 did not have a year tag following the move to Majestic. Following the switch to Majestic, authenticgamers.com notes that dozens of questionable Pujols game used examples surfaced.

3. The MEARS worksheet does not have signatures of the authenticators. Was there enough information obtained in the course of the eval to conclude that MEARS was unable to authenticate?

I assumed all jerseys submitted to MEARS at a minimum, would have a worksheet to document the eval, but those jerseys that MEARS concludes are game used would have a LOO with a final grade.

Quote Originally Posted by moderncollector View Post
    The seller told me the MEARS worksheet was obtained directly from Mastro, after he had sent it off to them. I find this suspect as MEARS had promised to not work with any auction house other than Robert Edward Auctions. Either MEARS lied, or Mastro is using third party's to have MEARS look at consignments since they are not able to use MEARS directly. MEARS promised to punish that behavior.

Any thoughts about the jersey either?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cardinals-Albert...QQcmdZViewItem
    moderncollector-

please clarify your questions about this item here. you seem to be calling it into question, but i'm not entirely sure what your point is.

The MEARS letter does not look right.

Eric - I think he is trying to say that the auction house passed the jersey along to a third party...who in turn took it to MEARS for evaluation...then returned it to the auction house.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

interesting re-listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220251675384

"Authentic autographed Albert Pujols game Worn Jerseys have been selling for between $6000 and $8500 in recent sports memorabilia auctions. This jersey is signed and is game worn from Albert's best season, 2003. Grey Flannel provided a LOA for this jersey. The hand written initials described in the Grey Flannel LOA need to be looked at in a better light than my camera provides. eBay approved authenticator GAI has authenticated the 2007 signed Albert Pujols 100% authentic signature. Game Used Universe along with American Memorabilia are in my opinion, the worst auction houses in America 'and even they are bringing in $5,000+ for Pujols signed Game Used Jerseys."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    interesting re-listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220251675384

"Authentic autographed Albert Pujols game Worn Jerseys have been selling for between $6000 and $8500 in recent sports memorabilia auctions. This jersey is signed and is game worn from Albert's best season, 2003. Grey Flannel provided a LOA for this jersey. The hand written initials described in the Grey Flannel LOA need to be looked at in a better light than my camera provides. eBay approved authenticator GAI has authenticated the 2007 signed Albert Pujols 100% authentic signature. Game Used Universe along with American Memorabilia are in my opinion, the worst auction houses in America 'and even they are bringing in $5,000+ for Pujols signed Game Used Jerseys."
    I usually don't get involved in these discussions, but I thought I'd mention that sometimes this bad publicity might get more people to take note of GUU. A lot of watchers of this item will have their curiosity piqued by the listing and will come on this website. Many may stay, when they realized that the Game Used Forums are about educating the collector. Just another way of looking at things.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

thats cool that he sent a shoutout to kyle hess.