Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: autographs on game used equipment

The only thing is I would never suggest to personalize something unless the item is ony going to be caluable to you. A picture that you took with the player is cool to be personalized but something like a jersey or a bat I would never have personalized or even Professional photo.

Awhile back, I had some team-issued (not retail) Dodger batting helmets that I had The Infield (Garvey, Lopes, Russell and Cey) sign. Garvey and Russell signed right-handed batting helmets, and Cey and Lopes signed flapless helmets. The signings were held at a card shop where I live, and the shop owner assured that there would be no charge for personalizations. Each player signed with their career highlights (Gold Glove, MVP, consecutive games played, All-Star appearances, World Series, etc.). It was a nice change from having players sign at a bigger show and charging for inscriptions.

I personally try to get all of my game used equipment signed if I'm able to meet the player. Heres pics of my game used equipment which 90% of are signed (the Jones,Hubbard,and Ramirez were all obtained in-person and the Guillen has a really nice inscription which you were mentioning about)

http://www.freewebs.com/gameused/myg...memorablia.htm

I have most of my game used bats signed, but most of the time, even at a show in a controlled setting, I CAN NOT get guys to put a real good autograph on bats.

Jason

It's funny that you mentioned that even under controlled settings,autograph sessions can be perilous. It seems that even if you tell them what you want and where to put it-the player allways seems to be talking to someone nearby,absent-mindedly grabs the item and signs it where he wants. Bob Gibson signed his name with inscription,on the dark portion of a photo instead of the lighter area. Bob Feller refused to sign,"Robert William Andrew Feller" and wrote instead,"Robert William Feller" because his uncle Andrew left him out of his will-so he refuses to honor him anymore. Reggie Jackson wrote the "44" in the bottom loop of the "J" in Jackson once and not on the second bat I gave him. The handler said,"He does it when he feels like it". Conversation in full earshot of Reggie who didn't look up the whole time. People at McDonalds and other checkout counters work like bastards and they always manage to say thank you and know that you're,for that brief moment,the customer. The players,especially the older ones,they've been involved in this memorabilia buisness now for how long,making more money now than when they played,and some of them still don't know you sign a bat in the front not the back of the barrell. The most professional player I've met who realized that not only are you a fan but for that moment,"their customer" was Rocky Colavito. He practically yelled at a handler for interrupting him while he was writing for me at a show. He was polite,well dressed and respected what was going on-TO WIT-he was getting paid alot of money and he treated it like when he suited up to play a game. By the way,he's another under-rated player we should all collect if given the chance.Sorry about the rant.
    Robert

A player that is becoming very bad about this is I am sorry to say, Albert Pujols. Each year at the Cardinals Winter Warm Up event he wont even look up at you unless you give him something he doesnt want to sign. Not to mention he will only sign balls and flats to start with. I think its a shame that a real talent is becoming the next Barry Bonds.

Jason

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.

Okay, this topic seems to be repeated every month or so on here, and I'll say again what I usually do: I think autographs on game used items should be the exception and not the rule. To me, the fact that a bat, jersey, helmet, or whatever was actually used by a particular player in game competition is all you need. A signature pales in comparison to the special nature of actual game use.

The one situation where I like having autos is on game used Louisville Slugger / H&B bats on which there is only the player's last name in block letters. I think it's a nice touch, though not necessary, to have the player's signature next to the block name.

As to jerseys, I'm just not a fan of having them signed. If they are signed, I strongly prefer that they be signed on the tail next to the tags.

As for inscriptions, I think they're almost always overkill and gaudy. If anywhere but on the tail, I think they almost ruin the special nature of the jersey. That kind of thing should be limited to replica or game issued jerseys which are not really that special in and of themselves.

Bottom line: If you plan to keep a jersey for a long time and don't care what writing on the jersey may do to the market value, more power to you if you can get the player to sign it and write anything else on it you want. It's your jersey. But keep in mind that what you do will impact the desirability of the jersey if you ever seek to sell or trade it. If you're a dealer and you add a bunch of ink to a jersey, you may as well burn cash while you're at it.

Banned

I dont quite agree with icollectdc / bcuz with an inscription if you can het the player to put ( game used ) and of course document that he put that there, i think it adds more value to the jersey, bcuz the player him self is agreeing that it is game used / i am not saying this is the end all be all of it. it just reassures the next buyer of that jersey or makes him feel more confident in buying it.

Or to inscibe the item to a particular date such as ( rookie year ) or ( a year / date a record was broken ) and the item was involved in that game.

Just an opinion!!!

I would agree that certain inscriptions are cool if they are done in a way that doesn't detract from or dominate the appearance of the jersey (again, I prefer on the tail which I think is the best of both worlds if a jersey must be signed). Problem is that people will disagree on what types of landmarks are worthy of such inscriptions.

As for the idea that autos increase the confidence level of prospective purchasers, well, let's just say that they may have that effect but you can argue that they shouldn't. That's because some players will write just about anything on a jersey. And a bogus jersey that is handed to a player at a show or elsewhere in public may look legit to the player. (As we know, players often don't know their own legit gamers.) I imagine this varies from player to player and there may be some guys that we know will not inscribe something as being game worn unless they're certain that it is.

It's all a matter of preference for sure, but I just wanted to chime in to give the other side of the argument. And I do think I speak for a lot of long-time collectors. What portion? I don't know. But it's up to the person who's going to sell the jersey, if that's their long or short term intention, to factor this in.