Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: autographs on game used equipment

icollectdc i agree with everything you just said there but you would be surprised of how many player will refuse to inscribe game used if they themselves don't know for sure.

Just to give you an example,

I recently met with Andy Pettitte and some guy came to the show with a Game Used Jersey of Andy's from SteinerSports with the LOA. Andy refused to put the inscription. Even though the guy even had the LOA from Steiner and the jersey was in the Steiner box. He wouldn't do it. I tell you this much that guy was extremely pissed and cursing. He bought the jersey just for that sole purpose to have Andy auto and inscribe it.

most players wont write game used. i recently went to a mariano rivera signing with one of his 2002 game issued jerseys that i bought from steiner. brought the coa with me too. i paid 50 bucks for an inscription hoping he would sign it 2002 Gamer or even 2002 Game Issued. i begged for a while, but he would not do it. he apologized a few times. very nice guy. so i didnt leave cursing, lol. i think steiner should allow it if you have all the paper work with you. the palyers sign game used for them.

Banned

Bulbus steiner does allow it its not up to steiner what he writes its up to Mariano, the reason why most players wont write GAME USED or GAMER is bcuz they dont want to he held liable for any legality of it. Even though you show up with the paper who's to say you didnt doctor up paper work or forge the jersey it self. So players don't want to take any chances!!

i dont know, it seemed like he was taking direction from the steiner rep sitting next to him. the rep was the first one to say no. i do understand why though. i guess if i want game used written on something, i just have to buy it already signed from companies like steiner and esm. i have a rivera bat from steiner signed and inscribed game used.

Banned

Bulbus if thats the case then try to catch Mariano at a different signing and have him do it then

I wonder how Arod gets around the "legalities" of writing "game-used" on practically everything. If you've got a little league bat, I'm pretty certain you can get him to write "game-used" on it for the right price. Bump up the price a little more and you can probably even tell him to put a certain homerun number on it.

At any rate, once I was at a Canseco show and there was Canseco, signing balls, bats, jerseys, etc with a slew of different types of pens. Sharpies, ballpoints, etc. Canseco was a wiz when it came to automatically selecting the right pen for each item. It was like second nature to him. He'd see an 8x10 and automatically pick-up a blue sharpie and still keep chatting to the guy next to him, then he'd see a ball and he'd drop the sharpie and pick up a ball point. Next guy would come up with a black bat, and Canseco would pick up the silver paint pen. All of this without being told or even blinking. What a pro. I was a little worried he would sign my 8x10 with a ballpoint. I once saw Tony Gwynn sign some kid's black/dark baseball card with a black ballpoint. I imagine the kid was thrilled.

During my younger days I attended a golf tournament with Gretzky. A bunch of people were around Wayne and he was signing things. Some divot handed him a huge, black Cadomark. Well Wayne was one of those guys that basically takes 1 marker and uses it for everyone. When Wayne grabbed my 8x10, I told him "not with that!!" and he chuckled and said "it's fine..it'll last longer". Yeah well..the ultimate joke is that about 3 min after I got my 8x10 back, the Cadomark autograph turned into a small collection of ink droplets. That's how long that lasted. Thanks Wayne! Luckily I had him sign some other things with a Sharpie. Otherwise, fisticuffs might've erupted.

Rudy.

Banned

KingJammy as far as you mentioning AROD the reason he can get a way with the legalities of writing game used on everything is bcuz it is his stuff, one of the biggest sellers of his stuff is ESM on ebay. AROD is invloved with ESM. Just to give you a heads up ESM used to be called AROD Authentics. I will not go any further about the rest and I will lave it at that bcuz thats a whole other can of worms.

Recently I had Scott Rolen sign a game used bat. I asked him to put game used on it, and he paused for a second to think about it, and then said he would rather not. I didnt argue the point.

Jason

Glad to hear about specific players who won't write "game used" on an item brought to them by a collector. Problem is that a prospective buyer most often won't know whether a player whose uniform they're evaulating is a guy who is that picky about such an inscription. The examples that have been brought up about this are guys like A-Rod and Scott Rolen. Stars are more likely to get a reputation about such things. Tell me, do you know whether Aaron Cook or Jesse Garcia would balk if someone asked them to write "game worn" on a high-quality game issue jersey? Well?

[Not saying that either of these players would knowingly do anything wrong. Just that many players, not necessarily these guys specifically, can be fooled by nice replicas or fakes.]

Banned

icollectdc, well thats the point some will some wont. Some wont take the chance of signing game used others could careless and will sign your grandmothers undis saying game used. All I am saying is when a game used items is signed game used it does look better. You feel a bit more comfortable with the item your purchasing from someone. Who are we to argue that the player didnt use the item if he signed it game used.

Maybe he did wear my grandmothers undies!!!!! lol lol