Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: autographs on game used equipment

This is very interesting on players who will, or won't, sign "Game Used" on items presented before them at autograph shows. I can imagine their hesitance to add the inscription if they're not sure. I'd do the same if I was in that position.

I've been to a few signings (card shops and bigger shows) that involved the Dodgers. One of the shows had Gagne, Beltre and Cora (amongst others). I showed Cora a bat from his rookie season. He confirmed that he used that particuliar model in his rookie season and included "My rookie bat" with his signature. I presented Beltre with several gamers and, after holding each bat and looking at the placement of the hit marks on the barrel, markings on the knob, feeling the weight, etc., he added "Game Used" to his signature on each bat. With Gagne, I had a jersey from his rookie season. He smiled to see the jersey and commented to his assistant, "This is my rookie season jersey." However, when he signed the back, it was with his signature and a Cy Young inscription. While I was hoping he would add a "Game Used" or rookie-type inscription, at least he signed his full name in lieu of his sometimes "EG" version.

So it goes...

Banned

Island just so you know you have to ask them if there is a particular inscription you want you cant just hope there going to put it there!!! If you want game used, rookie of the year, hof, cy young, you cant expect him to know what you want otherwise they will put whatever they feel, and usually they will put little to nothing. Even if you buy an inscription ticket they usually ask you want you want or will put soemthing easiest to write like hof. or something like that. You cant expect there going to automatically write game used.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477
    Island just so you know you have to ask them if there is a particular inscription you want you cant just hope there going to put it there!!! If you want game used, rookie of the year, hof, cy young, you cant expect him to know what you want otherwise they will put whatever they feel, and usually they will put little to nothing. Even if you buy an inscription ticket they usually ask you want you want or will put soemthing easiest to write like hof. or something like that. You cant expect there going to automatically write game used.
    Yes, I am aware of asking players to sign a particular inscription. If I purchase an inscription ticket, I already have a good idea of what inscriptions to request. Cora and Beltre did accommodate. However, Gagne did not. Recent posts were about players and their hesistance to add "gamer"-type inscriptions. I just thought I'd share my experience.

Banned

island no problem just trying to clear somethings, but your right it is interesting. if i get something inscribed i always try to get the inscription to be something rare that the player accomplished that way it makes it more valuable. You be surprised how different inscriptions can change the value of your item.

No worries, Suave! One of the inscriptions (of many on the same item) I had Bill Russell sign on a helmet was Most Games Played by a Los Angeles Dodger. I can't imagine he's signed that inscription too often, if ever at all.

Banned

Of all the athletes I have done signings with over the years, I would say Pete Rose was the best. He wrote almost anything anyone asked. The best was when I was being his pen boy one day and an old man asked him to sign: "Peter Edward Rose" and Pete said no, then handed him a baseball signed exactly that way.

I've recently tried getting "gamer" signed on my GU bats. Reggie Jax will, although he has the personality of a doorknob. Phil Niekro did, he was really cool. Mike Schmidt and Jim Rice said no, since they couldn't be sure.

I asked Dave Parker and he examined the bat all over and then told me that he was sorry to tell me that the bat wasn't his, he never used bats under 36". I went home and measured it and it was 35 and 7/8"!!

Ken