X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

autographs on game used equipment

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone has experience getting game used items signed with special inscriptions. Positive and negative experiences are appreciated. or maybe just opionions about getting autographs on game used equipment in general.

thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.
  • Yankwood
    • Nov 2005

Re: autographs on game used equipment

I have quite a few game used bats I've gotten auto'd but with todays $100-$400 pricetags for signing a bat, I can live without them.

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

how much additional charge is there to have a game used bat signed compared to a game model bat being signed? or how much more is charged for a game used glove to be signed compared to a unused glove?
      is it cheaper to have a large company get an item signed than getting the autograph signed by the players on one's own. do players question if its game used and where you got it and must you show them the steiner certificate for example for them to sign a game used ball.
      Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• suave1477
        Banned
        • Jan 2006

I personally like to get game used bats and jerseys autographed, i will only out an inscription if it is something pertaining to that year of the item. For example if i have a Mets bat game used from 1986 then I might have the player put 86 world series champs, but if i have a bat from 89 i would put soomething else pertaining to that player that whatever they did special in 89. If it is a significant item such as a rookie item, I will ask them to be rookie game used or nothing at all. Some players will put a Game Used inscription but some wont its really up to them. I met Andy Pettitte a couple of weeks ago and someone brought in a Game Used Jersey of his from Steiner with the LOA and he refused to put Game Used on it. So as you can see it's really up to the player.

I personally would say if you can get the autograph on your own, go for it. It is a lot cheaper then going to some huge company, but then again with some players may either be exclusive to a big company or they may not come to your area unless a big company pays them.

You have to keep an eye out for the small places to get the players it is usually a lot cheaper

Example-
        Yogi Berra, Steiner is charging for a show coming up $250 on a bat.
        Yogi Berra, is doing another show in New Jersey next month and there charging $125

So its really up to you and the player at that time!!!

Comment

• suave1477
          Banned
          • Jan 2006

By the way there usually is no extra charge if it is game used or a retail item. I am not big on Professional Model items bcuz they really dont add any extra value to the item except for having that players name on it. I rather have a game used bat or a plain louisville slugger, Adirondack or Rawlings that way i can add more to the bat later down the line if I want.

Right now I have a Yankees bat ( I call it the Ultimate Yankees bat ) right now i have about 30 Autos on it of Yankees from 1958 to Present and I keep adding more.

Comment

• BaseballGM
            Banned
            • Jan 2006

I haven't asked too many players for personalizations, but the couple I have asked, I've gotten mixed results. Some are great and some you have to be VERY CLEAR as to what you want. For example, I bought a personalization ticket in addition to the regular fee and asked the player to personalize it to me, Kevin. So what did I get? A picture signed with "Kevin" and the player's autograph. No "To Kevin" or "Best Wishes Kevin". I don't think getting my name on there was worth the extra money. -Kevin

P.S. Frank Howard signed a photo I took of him, "To Kevin, Keep Hustling, Frank Hondo Howard." Now that's a personalization!

Comment

• BaseballGM
              Banned
              • Jan 2006

Oh, and to answer the original question, I like to have game used bats and equipment signed. Again, be sure to be clear if adding personalizations. -Kevin

Comment

• Swoboda4
                • Nov 2005

This is a good opportunity to again show GameUsedForum member "sethswirsky"'s video on his getting Tom Seaver to sign his actual '69 World series jersey. This goes to a previous discussion on how to have items signed. Seth is a songwriter who has written for Al Green,TinaTurner. He wrote,"Tell it to Your Heart" for Taylor Dayne. Check his site out for a fantastic collection and the Seaver Video:

He also wrote the book,"Every Picher Tells a Story"
                The Crown Publishing Group is a division of Penguin Random House

Geoff,Yankeefan01 has a good idea with drapping the gloves over a G/U bat. I make my own display cases and if you're inclined,use plexiglass instead of glass because it's lighter. A lot of time spent at Home Depot in the lumber aisle. Use hard woods because they stain better than pine.
                Robert

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

am i correct is saying that there are varying charges for autographing various game used equipment or is there a set price for an autograph. i thought the autograph on a flat cost less than the autograph on a nonflat like a game used item.
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• BaseballGM
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by joelsabi
                    am i correct is saying that there are varying charges for autographing various game used equipment or is there a set price for an autograph. i thought the autograph on a flat cost less than the autograph on a nonflat like a game used item.
                    Promoter's don't distinguish between game used and non-game used autograph fees. You'll see a generic fee schedule of, for example, $25 flats, $50 (11x14 or larger) $75 bats/jerseys/premiums, and $15 inscriptions. - Kevin

Comment

• suave1477
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2006

The only thing is I would never suggest to personalize something unless the item is ony going to be caluable to you. A picture that you took with the player is cool to be personalized but something like a jersey or a bat I would never have personalized or even Professional photo.

Comment

• island_style
                        • Nov 2005

Awhile back, I had some team-issued (not retail) Dodger batting helmets that I had The Infield (Garvey, Lopes, Russell and Cey) sign. Garvey and Russell signed right-handed batting helmets, and Cey and Lopes signed flapless helmets. The signings were held at a card shop where I live, and the shop owner assured that there would be no charge for personalizations. Each player signed with their career highlights (Gold Glove, MVP, consecutive games played, All-Star appearances, World Series, etc.). It was a nice change from having players sign at a bigger show and charging for inscriptions.

Comment

• kylehess10
                          • Feb 2006

I personally try to get all of my game used equipment signed if I'm able to meet the player. Heres pics of my game used equipment which 90% of are signed (the Jones,Hubbard,and Ramirez were all obtained in-person and the Guillen has a really nice inscription which you were mentioning about)

Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.
                          kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
                          http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• stlbats
                            • Nov 2005

I have most of my game used bats signed, but most of the time, even at a show in a controlled setting, I CAN NOT get guys to put a real good autograph on bats.

Jason

Comment

• Swoboda4
                              • Nov 2005

It's funny that you mentioned that even under controlled settings,autograph sessions can be perilous. It seems that even if you tell them what you want and where to put it-the player allways seems to be talking to someone nearby,absent-mindedly grabs the item and signs it where he wants. Bob Gibson signed his name with inscription,on the dark portion of a photo instead of the lighter area. Bob Feller refused to sign,"Robert William Andrew Feller" and wrote instead,"Robert William Feller" because his uncle Andrew left him out of his will-so he refuses to honor him anymore. Reggie Jackson wrote the "44" in the bottom loop of the "J" in Jackson once and not on the second bat I gave him. The handler said,"He does it when he feels like it". Conversation in full earshot of Reggie who didn't look up the whole time. People at McDonalds and other checkout counters work like bastards and they always manage to say thank you and know that you're,for that brief moment,the customer. The players,especially the older ones,they've been involved in this memorabilia buisness now for how long,making more money now than when they played,and some of them still don't know you sign a bat in the front not the back of the barrell. The most professional player I've met who realized that not only are you a fan but for that moment,"their customer" was Rocky Colavito. He practically yelled at a handler for interrupting him while he was writing for me at a show. He was polite,well dressed and respected what was going on-TO WIT-he was getting paid alot of money and he treated it like when he suited up to play a game. By the way,he's another under-rated player we should all collect if given the chance.Sorry about the rant.
                              Robert

Comment

Working...