Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

autographs on game used equipment

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone has experience getting game used items signed with special inscriptions. Positive and negative experiences are appreciated. or maybe just opionions about getting autographs on game used equipment in general.

thanks in advance.

Re: autographs on game used equipment

I have quite a few game used bats I've gotten auto'd but with todays $100-$400 pricetags for signing a bat, I can live without them.

how much additional charge is there to have a game used bat signed compared to a game model bat being signed? or how much more is charged for a game used glove to be signed compared to a unused glove?
    is it cheaper to have a large company get an item signed than getting the autograph signed by the players on one's own. do players question if its game used and where you got it and must you show them the steiner certificate for example for them to sign a game used ball.

Banned

I personally like to get game used bats and jerseys autographed, i will only out an inscription if it is something pertaining to that year of the item. For example if i have a Mets bat game used from 1986 then I might have the player put 86 world series champs, but if i have a bat from 89 i would put soomething else pertaining to that player that whatever they did special in 89. If it is a significant item such as a rookie item, I will ask them to be rookie game used or nothing at all. Some players will put a Game Used inscription but some wont its really up to them. I met Andy Pettitte a couple of weeks ago and someone brought in a Game Used Jersey of his from Steiner with the LOA and he refused to put Game Used on it. So as you can see it's really up to the player.

I personally would say if you can get the autograph on your own, go for it. It is a lot cheaper then going to some huge company, but then again with some players may either be exclusive to a big company or they may not come to your area unless a big company pays them.

You have to keep an eye out for the small places to get the players it is usually a lot cheaper

Example-
    Yogi Berra, Steiner is charging for a show coming up $250 on a bat.
    Yogi Berra, is doing another show in New Jersey next month and there charging $125

So its really up to you and the player at that time!!!

Banned

By the way there usually is no extra charge if it is game used or a retail item. I am not big on Professional Model items bcuz they really dont add any extra value to the item except for having that players name on it. I rather have a game used bat or a plain louisville slugger, Adirondack or Rawlings that way i can add more to the bat later down the line if I want.

Right now I have a Yankees bat ( I call it the Ultimate Yankees bat ) right now i have about 30 Autos on it of Yankees from 1958 to Present and I keep adding more.

Banned

I haven't asked too many players for personalizations, but the couple I have asked, I've gotten mixed results. Some are great and some you have to be VERY CLEAR as to what you want. For example, I bought a personalization ticket in addition to the regular fee and asked the player to personalize it to me, Kevin. So what did I get? A picture signed with "Kevin" and the player's autograph. No "To Kevin" or "Best Wishes Kevin". I don't think getting my name on there was worth the extra money. -Kevin

P.S. Frank Howard signed a photo I took of him, "To Kevin, Keep Hustling, Frank Hondo Howard." Now that's a personalization!

Banned

Oh, and to answer the original question, I like to have game used bats and equipment signed. Again, be sure to be clear if adding personalizations. -Kevin

This is a good opportunity to again show GameUsedForum member "sethswirsky"'s video on his getting Tom Seaver to sign his actual '69 World series jersey. This goes to a previous discussion on how to have items signed. Seth is a songwriter who has written for Al Green,TinaTurner. He wrote,"Tell it to Your Heart" for Taylor Dayne. Check his site out for a fantastic collection and the Seaver Video:
    http://www.seth.com/coll_memorabilia_01.html
    He also wrote the book,"Every Picher Tells a Story"
    http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/cat...authorid=30424
    Geoff,Yankeefan01 has a good idea with drapping the gloves over a G/U bat. I make my own display cases and if you're inclined,use plexiglass instead of glass because it's lighter. A lot of time spent at Home Depot in the lumber aisle. Use hard woods because they stain better than pine.
    Robert

am i correct is saying that there are varying charges for autographing various game used equipment or is there a set price for an autograph. i thought the autograph on a flat cost less than the autograph on a nonflat like a game used item.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi
    am i correct is saying that there are varying charges for autographing various game used equipment or is there a set price for an autograph. i thought the autograph on a flat cost less than the autograph on a nonflat like a game used item.
    Promoter's don't distinguish between game used and non-game used autograph fees. You'll see a generic fee schedule of, for example, $25 flats, $50 (11x14 or larger) $75 bats/jerseys/premiums, and $15 inscriptions. - Kevin